Computer Fan

hopkins6

I'm going to get MH for my reef tank. So I guess i'll need a fan. I was thinking about a computer fan, there alot cheaper. It has this cord w/ wires on it. How can I hook this fan up w/ my lights so they will be on the same timer? Thanks.

N

nluchau

If you have an old power supply from a computer (or go to a PC store and pick one up cheap) you can hook them up that way. I dont know any other way.

kdfrosty

I do know, however, that there is a way to do this other than using a PCs power supply. Just dont know the technical aspect to it.

S

sonicboom1

power supply from computer, prolly could cut and solder the wires to your MH light but that is risking a lot of money because of the lights and to much power for fans etc...
or hook them up to your computer...ive had my computer on for over a year, you could just leave it on, its better to leave your computer on then turn it off all the time anyways..

jasenhicks

If you want to usecomputer fans all you need to get is a 12v AC-DC rectifier from Radio Shack.Cut the end plug off and and hard wire it to the leads of the computer fan. Simple, and cheap.
Jasen

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by JasenHicks
If you want to usecomputer fans all you need to get is a 12v AC-DC rectifier from Radio Shack.Cut the end plug off and and hard wire it to the leads of the computer fan. Simple, and cheap.
Jasen
This is the exact thing that I was telling you about, Hopkins.