Computer UPS as backup power

conch

Has any one considered using one of these as back up for the main pump in case of a power outage? Any Idea how long it would last, or even if it is feasable.
Just an Idea I had and thought it just might work.

jerrybsal

They work fine, just don't plug everything you own into it. Leave maybe a canister filter or powerheads. I have used them for about 8 years on my return pump from my sump and a powerhead and I test every few months.I have plugged in a Mag 9 and it will run about 8hrs. so plenty of time for power outage.Very cheap for peace of mind.........

scsinet

If you have a UPS laying around, that's fine, but you need a pretty big one (maybe 1500VA or better) to give you good runtime on a main pump. Powerheads you might get more timer.
If you don't have one around and are facing buying one, then a cheaper, better solution in my opinion: Get a 350 to 500 watt power inverter. They run about 60-90 bucks (less than a big UPS) and keep that around. If the power goes out, hook it up to your car, run an extension cord, and you're good to go as long as your gas tank lasts. A car will idle on a full tank of gas for a good 10+ hours. You could use the UPS method and use this as a secondary, long term solution too.
Me, I just use a generator, but I am a tool-freak, I guess that's not for everyone.