Confused about my Feather Duster!

laneki

I recently had a strange occurrance in my reef tank; the large feather duster that I have went into hiding for almost two weeks. At first I thought it had been stung by the duria coral that was in the area, but now I am just confused! I moved it to another area of the tank and within a few days the feather duster emerged. The only difference is the color has gone from a reddish-brown to predominately white and is somewhat smaller.
There doesn't seem to be much info. on these creatures--does anyone know whether they go through a change at a certain cycle of their life? Side note... I never noticed the worm outside of its tube..

dleto1

The old feathers probably jumped out. what you see is the new groth. I use to replace mine when they jumped out but the store i get my fish from told me the feathers will grow back in about two weeks and they always have.
Originally posted by laneki:
I recently had a strange occurrance in my reef tank; the large feather duster that I have went into hiding for almost two weeks. At first I thought it had been stung by the duria coral that was in the area, but now I am just confused! I moved it to another area of the tank and within a few days the feather duster emerged. The only difference is the color has gone from a reddish-brown to predominately white and is somewhat smaller.
There doesn't seem to be much info. on these creatures--does anyone know whether they go through a change at a certain cycle of their life? Side note... I never noticed the worm outside of its tube..