Confused by cameras

ohscc

As by the title I am getting confused on which camera to buy. I have done all the searchs and found that most people like the Coolpix 995. However that camera is about $400 for a reconditioned one on ----. The other cameras I am looking at are the Canon A40 and the Sony Cybershot S30. I am not in the photo hobby so I don 't know much about cameras besides some terms. I am looking for a camera mostly to sell American Flyer Trains and little (hot wheel like) cars as well to take close ups of my fish and coral. So here are my questions....
What exactly is a macro mode? I think it is judged by the distance from the lens to the object and on the Coolpix it is about 2 cm is this right?(please explain why you need this)
I know yall recommend the Coolpix over the Canon and Cybershot but for what reasons?
Do you need any macro lens additions....or are the cameras ready to shoot in macro mode straight out of the box?
Will these cameras perform up to standards when shooting trains, and cars?
Do I need the Nikon 995 or would a lesser mode suit my needs more.... like a 990 or etc.?
How I picked these cameras.....
many- Nikon 995
stereo..... -canon A40
tatoo....- Sony DSC-S30
anyother cameras that take good pics that can further confuse me are more than welcome.
Thanks for your time and help!
Corey
P.S.
And i am leaning toward the 995 .

I spent a 10 hr day looking at digital cameras in all price ranges. I ended up with an Olympus D-370 from Sam's Club. It was $160 which I thought was reasonable, and I had to buy the card for another $60. It has the macro feature, takes nice close up shots without a flash and was by far the easiest to use. I am not a camera person to start with so easy to use was on the top of my list along with clear pictures. Take a look at my web site to see the photo quality (consider the user). HTH

twoods71

I use a sony and am very pleased with it. I forget the actual name but it has a large display and pictures can be stored on disk or memory card.
Pictures on the card are of better quality but sometimes using the disk is more convenient.
You can view some pictures I took with it by clicking the little house above. The pictures were stored on a disk, if I had used the memory stick they would be much clearer.