Confused on overflow rate, pumps, head..?

sugarfox03

I thought I had this stuff figured out, but I'm wrong. I have a 105 g tank, I need to know what pump to get for the return. I was going to buy a Mag 9.5, would this be ok? Can they be tuned down if too powerful? How do I figure out how much the pump needs to be? I can get dimensions later today if needed. I will have a 29 gal sump/fuge. Thanks in advance!!

sign guy

is your tank drilled
what is your overflow box rated for
how many overflows do you have
are overflows corners or back

teaggs

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
I thought I had this stuff figured out, but I'm wrong. I have a 105 g tank, I need to know what pump to get for the return. I was going to buy a Mag 9.5, would this be ok? Can they be tuned down if too powerful? How do I figure out how much the pump needs to be? I can get dimensions later today if needed. I will have a 29 gal sump/fuge. Thanks in advance!!
You want to cycle the tank 10x an hour for a fish only and up to 20x an hour for reef tanks so I would go with a Mag 12 for that tank because after you calculate your head loss you would be around your 10x an hour rate needed

sugarfox03

It will be fish only, cannot afford a large reef tank just yet. :) It is predrilled, the overflow is a box in the rear left corner. We bought the tank used, I dont know what its rated for. There is only 1 overflow. Thanks!!

sign guy

that means your pump needs to pump 600 gph after head soooo a mag 9 will work. You are going to need a cosed loop to get adiquit flow

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by sign guy
that means your pump needs to pump 600 gph after head soooo a mag 9 will work. You are going to need a cosed loop to get adiquit flow
Newbie question (warning!) May I ask what a closed loop system is? Thanks in advance!

sign guy

closed loop (CL) is just moving water around some people can get away with adding some power heads. I think you may need to add a overflow box and pump it back into the tank

sugarfox03

There are two holes inside the overflow box. I guessed one was for the overflow, and the other the return, is this right? I want to get the water from the tank, to the sump below where there will be a part for a fuge and a Remora Pro skimmer and then get the water back to the tank. How can I accomplish this? I've never had a large tank before, this is a first, so I have never had to deal with return pumps, plumbing, etc. I don't mind a few powerheads in the display if they need to be there. Thanks for all the info!

sign guy

There are two holes inside the overflow box. I guessed one was for the overflow, and the other the return, is this right?
I want to get the water from the tank, to the sump below where there will be a part for a fuge and a Remora Pro skimmer and then get the water back to the tank. How can I accomplish this? A mag drive pump I've never had a large tank before, this is a first, so I have never had to deal with return pumps, plumbing, etc. I don't mind a few powerheads in the display if they need to be there. Thanks for all the info!
If I were you I would check out the WAVE2K

sugarfox03

Its a bit expensive. Maybe in a little while I can afford it! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm on a college student budget, so I have to make the best of what I can afford.

sugarfox03

No problem. But I still have some questions...if I dont do closed loop, what return pump should I get, Mag 9 or 12? Can these pumps be turned down if they are too high? Can everything go through the one overflow box I have?

sign guy

No problem. But I still have some questions...if I dont do closed loop, what return pump should I get, Mag 9 or 12? 9 Can these pumps be turned down if they are too high? mag drves can Can everything go through the one overflow box I have?
no 600gph is about all that can go through a 1 inch pipe. you will have to find some way to add flow

sugarfox03

Ok, I just ordered a Mag Drive 9.5 for the return. Now, for the display...how many powerheads should I use? I'm a fan of MaxiJet, how many of what size should I get? Would 2 1200's be enough, or should I get 3 900's, or 3 1200's? Remember, its FOWLR so I guess I dont need to have a whole lot of movement for corals and such. Thanks for all the help/info!!

sugarfox03

I just measured the sizes of the holes in the overflow box. I have a 1.5" and a 1.75" hole. Which one should I use for the overflow to the sump, and which for the return? Also, what are those things called that are on the return lines and deflect the water to other parts in the tank? It looks like black plastic "balls" linked together with a spout on the end. Sorry for the horrible description.

ibew

you need to post some pictures please to really help you the reason being is sounds like your overflow box could be rated for more than 600gph if thats the case then you might want to hold off on the mag 9 till we confrim that

ibew

I just measured the sizes of the holes in the overflow box. I have a 1.5" and a 1.75" hole. Which one should I use for the overflow to the sump, and which for the return? Also, what are those things called that are on the return lines and deflect the water to other parts in the tank? It looks like black plastic "balls" linked together with a spout on the end. Sorry for the horrible description.

if you got 2 holes in the bottom of your overflow box than you could either have both going to sump on opposite sides of sump or just plug one off and just use one does the other hole look to be some one else drilled it did you by this overflow box new is it possible that there the same size not to question your measurements