confused with lighting!!

killyah

alright here is the scope! i was told by a lfs that if i had an ice cap with 4 - 110 watts vho's in a 70 gal (18" high) that i can keep anything ? does this sound right to u guys? doing the math that would bring me somewhere near 6 watts per gallon. i dont think so thats why im asking! i know in a 50 gal that would be just fine , around 8 watts per gallon... i would like to keep soft and hard corals and maybe clams... i need help to clear this up... thx in advance.

nm reef

4x110 watts of VHO on a 75 would be a good source for a large selection....but not anything/everything(at least not in my opinion).
Clams would probably not be a great choice for that lighting.....most information suggests MH to properly keep clams.
Just as an example I run 4x65 watts of 10k pc and 2x110 watts of actinic vho on my 55 reef.....and I've avoided clams due to light limitations.

blondenaso1

I agree with NM. I wouldn't keep SPS corals or clams under anything but metal halide lighting. It can be done, but I think the best results come from MH. If you would add a 175# MH to that lighting setup then I think you would be able to keep just about anything.