Confused...

killafins413

I have a 20 gallon marine aquarium and so far its been succesful; except for the fact that the fish gang up on other fish... but this is not about that. Alrighty, I recently got a 55 gallon tank and am interested in making this aquarium into a reef marine aquarium. I have thoughts of fish from puffers to cardinals all the way to eels (although they will overgrow my tank)... For the reef part of the aquarium; if would probably like some anemones; (lots; almost build a miny 'garden'), simple corals; nothing tooo expensive for my wallet is very light these days. Now, the question of the day is what should I use for lighting... and also, i bought two 125gph powerheads (would they be good enough for my 55 gallon aquarium?)

nacl-h2o

If when you say simple corals you refering to the easier softies and LPS, I would go with 4 55w PCs 10,000K. If your talking about just the most simle corals shrooms, polyps, colts, leathers and the like, you could go with 3 or 4 36w PCs 10,000K. If you plan to do SPS or more difficult light demanding corals I would go with 2 175w MH 10,000K. Although PCs are cheaper than MH, keeping a reef tank is a pocket pincher which ever way you go. And some of the mention fish cannot be kept together or in a reef tank.

eng50

VHO flourecent lighting is probably more accesible to you up there..just another thought, and with it you can have just about anything you like depending on how many tubes you use..The ballasts are sold at home centers and electrical supply houses, and end caps are reasonable...It is a very flexible type system...
HTH