Considering a mandarin but need some info?

spankey

I have a 46 gallon bow with an 18" cpr hang on refugium.. I am considering getting a mandarin fish. My tank has been established for about 6 months now.. My fuge is filled with pods.. But my question is this? If the fuge has all these pods in it? Is it safe to say they are in the tank as well? Also how would one go about gettin pods out of a fuge to feed the mandarin? How does anyone else do this?
Other question? What fish should be avoided to keep one of these safely?
I have a coral beauty, 2 yellow tailed damsels, 1 blenny and 1 clown.. All are below the 1" in size... Are they ok mates for this fish? I have alot of live rock and hiding places for it? Would it be ok? I would also try to suppliment the mandarin with brine shrimp but know this might NOT work?
Any info or ideas on the pods? Would it live ok with my setup?
Thanks so much for your help and info!!
Spankey

aburitojr

with a 46 gallon (even with a refugium) you would not have enough copepods to support a mandarin. I'd say the minimum for a mandarin is 100 gallons even if you have a refugium.

guineawhop

i know the mandarin goby looks good but they really should not be bought because of their diet unless you have that much live rock to sustain them. imo leave them be.

loopy

there is another discussion on mandarin goby's, I'll bump it up for you.....hope you find it before it goes to page 2!!!

sato

Originally posted by Biggedraws
I have 2 mandarins in a 75 i feed them frozen mysis shrimp they seem to eat that just fine

Your lucky then, Mandarins rarely change their diet.
I would have to disagree with the above posters however, I have been very successful in keeping mandarins in 55, 58, and 75 gallon tanks. Although they were reef with large amounts of live rock, but I definetly disagree with the 100 gal minimum idea.

guineawhop

actually the magazine reef fish i believe it's called said in order to keep these guys you really should have a 200 gallon or larger with 200 pounds of live rock or more. just because they are still living doesn't mean it is the best environment for them

sato

Originally posted by guineawhop
actually the magazine reef fish i believe it's called said in order to keep these guys you really should have a 200 gallon or larger with 200 pounds of live rock or more. just because they are still living doesn't mean it is the best environment for them

I strongly STRONGLY diasgree wth this, every Mandarin I have had has been fat and healthy. Bright colors tons of movement(sometimes too much, had one jump the tank once). All that matters in keeping Mandarins is a large quantity of LR and LS and decently established tanks 6+ months. 200 gallons would be insane! That would be like building an extra room for your hamster!

guineawhop

like i said before just because urs are eating and doin good doesnt make it the right environment for them. i could put a trigger fish in a 20 gallon and have him do good...obviously it is not the right size of the tank...i know that this is a small fish but u know what i'm sure the writer of this magazine knows a lot more than you do.

sato

If you want to get technical about it then I suppose no aquarium is the right environment for any fish...
The trigger analogy is a size issue, its because he wont fit in a 20 gallon comfortably as he grows. However that doesnt apply to a Mandarin being as its not going to be much over 3 inches if even. The Mandarin debate is a food issue not a size issue hence if he is eating and happy then there is no food issue and in turn no dilemma.

guineawhop

well imo these fish should only be attempted by experts only and not someone that just wants a pretty fish. that would be like hey i want a cleaner wrasse because all my fish have parasites. just because you have the setup doesn't mean they will do well either. and the writer of that article wrote it for a reason and i'm sure they wouldn't pay a writer that didn't know anything about that fish.