Conversion question??

aquaria

I am converting my tank from aggressive to a peaceful fowlr. I took out all of my fish and all i have left is live rock. I wanted to no the easiest way to lower my Nitrates to 0 ppm (besides water changes). Thanks

monalisa

Originally Posted by ReefNut
why not water changes?? that's the best thing to start with.
DITTO...water changes will do the trick if you keep up with them.
Lisa :happyfish

uberlink

A couple of other options...
(1) Start a small refugium with some macroalgae, such as chaetomorpha. That will very quickly and quite permanently lower your nitrates to somewhere close to zero. Very easy to do.
(2) Add a couple of cleaner clams. The downside with these is that they will at some point die and spike your ammonia; there's almost no way to know that they've died or to get them out because they bury themselves.

aquaria

Originally Posted by uberlink
A couple of other options...
(1) Start a small refugium with some macroalgae, such as chaetomorpha. That will very quickly and quite permanently lower your nitrates to somewhere close to zero. Very easy to do.
lol, how do you do this?
Is there are instructions guide or could you explain briefly.
Thanks so much

fatrip

the best way is to use a refugium, this way you are not just replacing the water to have the same problem down the road you are fixing it permenently through the use of the nature nitogen cycle of plants, and algea's. the best way to find out more info on them and how they are made is to search google with "Refugium designs" or some variation of that. but i would read about the differences certian things make in the refugium before you just jumpinto makeing one.

michaeltx

I do and it will take time for it to get established and become a beneifit to the tank. I would suggest starting one and doing major water changes to lower them.
Mike

1journeyman

Water changes...
Refugiums are good too, but don't replace water changes.
Cleaner clams are nice but again won't replace water changes.

fatrip

hey 1journeyman,
i am wondering why you are not letting go of the water changes. if he is having a fish tank, not a reef, and he gets the refug all set up and through the cycleing stages, i am wondering why you would be doing the water changes?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fatrip
hey 1journeyman,
i am wondering why you are not letting go of the water changes. if he is having a fish tank, not a reef, and he gets the refug all set up and through the cycleing stages, i am wondering why you would be doing the water changes?
Water changes add "new" water and replace "old" water. Fish need healthy water too. New water adds back trace elements to the water.

fatrip

but if you have good gas exchange and are adding trace elements, like calcium, and you are taking all of the decomposed matter in the water out through refug, skimmers, wet dry fillters, i dont see the need to change the water, unless something drastic happens to it, like a dead fish that you didnt catch in time or one of your children putting somthing into the tank.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fatrip
but if you have good gas exchange and are adding trace elements, like calcium, and you are taking all of the decomposed matter in the water out through refug, skimmers, wet dry fillters, i dont see the need to change the water, unless something drastic happens to it, like a dead fish that you didnt catch in time or one of your children putting somthing into the tank.
Who adds every trace element? Trace elements include things like copper, manganese, etc.
No one doses (and tests for the right concentration of every trace element). Not to mention how costly that would be versus just doing a water change.

campbellson22

Aquar, why are you change from aggressive to peaceful. I'm still deciding what kind of Tank I want thought I could get your 2 cents.
Thanks!

aquaria

I have a 36g bow, in the aggressive style tank i had some damsels and 2 eels, with the only fish compatable with the others i was limited to selection due to bio-load and my tank is pretty small. I decided to switch because i wanted to do inverts and possibly corals down the road, but before i couldent due to the eels.
I just like the clownfish style tank better lol, but dont get me wrong, the eels were awsome to have.
Good luck with your tank

fatrip

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Who adds every trace element? Trace elements include things like copper, manganese, etc.
No one doses (and tests for the right concentration of every trace element). Not to mention how costly that would be versus just doing a water change.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!! We check these so called trace elements daily with our SPS tanks, if you are going to responsibly run a salt water tank, the point is to keep the fish in the best environment possible not just guessing....hey let change some water and it will replenish all of the "trace elements" that our tanks speices need to survive..... all of these so called trace elements need to be carfully watched, and if aquira is thinking about doing some corals later in his tanks life he should think about these "trace elements" like Ca, Alk, Mg, dKH...... Aquira i have a great site that will explain more of what i am talking about. if you want to know it just say so and ill let ya know.