convert freshwater tank to a saltwater?

kim11

I just won a 20 gallon tank from my local pet store (pretty cool). I think it may be for freshwater fish. Can I convert it into a saltwater?

dawman

Sure , clean it out , buy some sand , salt , test kits ,filter, and your off to a good start .

sepulatian

Originally Posted by kim11
I just won a 20 gallon tank from my local pet store (pretty cool). I think it may be for freshwater fish. Can I convert it into a saltwater?
If it is new and the frame is not metal (which few are) then it can be for either fresh or salt. Before you jump into the saltwater hobby, please look around this site and read some posts. It is best to gain some knowledge about the hobby before you start it. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have

kim11

I already have a saltwater tank! But its only a 12 gal. I was planning on setting up the 20 for more and bigger fish and using the 12 for sea horses. I just want to make sure this new one is ok for saltwater. I imagine its a cheaper tank since it is free. I havent picked it up from the store yet. I just know that its not an eclipse like the one I have now.

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by ophiura
Can you define "More and Bigger" fish? There is not a great deal of room in a 20g....
while this is true, she may only have like 1 or 2 fish in her 12 at the moment...adding a couple more to a 20 shouldnt hurt...i own a 20L...

bhfccsr198

Um Yea She Prolly Doesnt Mean Nothing Bad And Hey Trhat Comment Kinda Upset Me I Currently Have A 10 Gallon With 45 Lbs Of Live Rock And A Purple Tang A Hippo Tang And A Yellow Coris Wrasse And A Damsel

J

jesses89

Shouldnt be a problem, of course you will need to replace the freshwater filters(if it came with any) heaters.... you know... all the freshwater equipment with saltwater equipment.

ophiura

Hey folks, chill. It is a reasonable question in this case. Having NO IDEA what is meant by "more and bigger" and what she currently has, it is worth clarifying BEFORE she sets up a tank figuring she can keep a bunch of fish.
Whatever you wish to believe, a 20 g is a small tank, especially considering we have no way to know if this is a 20 high, 20 extra high, or a 20 long...and there is a full 10 inches in length difference between those options. That will make a difference when keeping territorial fish. A 20 long is rather a different tank than other 20g tanks.
But man, now I can't even try and help with reasonable questions. Whatever.

Best of luck!

kclester

how can you tell if it is freshwater equipment....i have 2 regent 30 gal filters and everyone told me they will work fine...is this true

sepulatian

Originally Posted by kclester
how can you tell if it is freshwater equipment....i have 2 regent 30 gal filters and everyone told me they will work fine...is this true
I have yet to see equipment besides skimmers that are labeled as "FW" or "SW" most test kits are for both. Don't worry about the tank. Filters are for either as well. One of my whisper filters are from when I had cichlids in my 55, the other was since then. I run the 60 gallon filter and a 40 that I added. The 60 was from my cichlid tank. I changed out the water and the filter cartridges (before I found out that carbon was only used for removing chemicals and polishing the water)There are certain extra things that you will need for your tank but all of the equipment that you have can be used.

sepulatian

Whatever you wish to believe, a 20 g is a small tank, especially considering we have no way to know if this is a 20 high, 20 extra high, or a 20 long...and there is a full 10 inches in length difference between those options. That will make a difference when keeping territorial fish. A 20 long is rather a different tank than other 20g tanks.
I agree, we don't know what the foot print of this tank is. Can we get measurements?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by kclester
whish cartridges would u reccomend for salt water
I notice that you have regent filters. I believe that they take the filter cartriges that have the carbon and pad all in one. Filters that have a black pad and a seperate filter bag that you can have carbon in or not are better than those that give you no choice. You do not want to run carbon all of the time, especially if you want to run a reef. It will remove trace elements that you want to keep.