Convert saltwater tank to freshwater tank

gksipps

Greetings! Yes, you read the above right, the topic is converting FROM a saltwater TO FRESHWATER... hubby and I are buying a new tank that is predrilled reef ready with the sump underneath, and our bro-in-law, who has freshwater fish (cichlids, I think) wants to buy our tank from us as it is larger than the one he has (ours is 90 gallons). Our old tank is not predrilled, has hang on filters, "standard" lights, etc... perfect for freshwater fish not in need of a more advanced system.
the lfs, which both bro-in-law and we shop at has told him that once you have a saltwater tank you can NEVER convert it to freshwater, because you can never wash the salt completely out of the glass.
I'm thinking there has to be something out there that will remove all traces of salt, and that lfs is just trying to sell my bro in law a new tank and make a buck.
Who is right? Can you convert or no?

molamola

If he's doing African Cichlids, by all means he can go right ahead. Most African Cichlids require very high PH levels, and in most cases, people achieve that by adding salt to the water, so I can't see how it would be a problem. Also, I've switched a 7 gallon minibow from fresh to salt to fresh with no difficulty. Just rinse it out and monitor the ph.

blazehok68

i hear that washing the glass with white vinegar will help to rid the tank of any unwanted salt or grime. also the vinegar does not leave a residue

texasex

I have had both fresh and saltwater tanks, and I don't see the problem with converting to freshwater. A trace amount of salt won't hurt, and infact, they sell freshwater salt (rip-off) to put trace amounts in to help with slime coat, etc. I would just clean it really well and don't use the crushed coral from the saltwater tank! :D

snipe

Just use a rag and mildly acidic vinger it will kill anything you dont want and will whipe off everything els just rinse it out and wipe dry after you use the viniger. I used it to prep my tank from fresh to saltwater and it didnt do anything.

puffer32

Well finally a subject I know something about! LOL. My brother raises african ciclids, and i have had my share of them in the past. Africans do like brackish water, so they will thrive in a used salt tank:yes: . Not sure about other ciclids though:notsure:

mudplayerx

Seeing as how glass doesn't absorb salt, I don't see why a properly-cleaned tank (using the above suggestions) wouldn't work.