Converting a kitchen base cabinet to an aquarium stand

dmschiff

Has anyone ever converted a kitchen style cabinet for use as a stand. I assume they need some type of reinforcement. If so, how did it turn out? Any pictures?

dmschiff

It is a 48x24x24 120G. I wanted to know if it's a possiblility before looking for a cabinet. I believe most standard kitchen and bath cabinets are about 25 inches deep (front to back).

zman1

Does your cabinet use any particle board in it's support construction (sides)?
If so, I would shy away from it for a tank. If this gets wet and swells you may have a major support issues pending. Build it out of solid wood and attach the front frame of the sink base to your stand if you like the look and layout of one.
Granted, A sink is wet but there is a seal/putty between the sink and countertop.

zman1

Originally Posted by dmschiff
It is a 48x24x24 120G. I wanted to know if it's a possiblility before looking for a cabinet. I believe most standard kitchen and bath cabinets are about 25 inches deep (front to back).
IMO that tank would be way too heavy for a standard economy sink base

dmschiff

Originally Posted by zman1
Does your cabinet use any particle board in it's support construction (sides)?
If so, I would shy away from it for a tank. If this gets wet and swells you may have a major support issues pending. Build it out of solid wood and attach the front frame of the sink base to your stand if you like the look and layout of one.
Granted, A sink is wet but there is a seal/putty between the sink and countertop.

Definitely not particle board. If I do this, it will be solid wood only.
So, your saying, build the stand frame and then basically wrap it with the cabinet?

ccfl

Has anyone ever converted a kitchen style cabinet for use as a stand. I assume they need some type of reinforcement. If so, how did it turn out? Any pictures?
Here's a few pictures of a two bath vanity cabinets 30 x 18 x 18 joined together and reinforced for a 125 gal 60 x 18 x 24 tank.

donald

I had a 55g on the sink bases that you buy from Home Depot. It stood for 4 years untill I got tired of it being too low and built a coustom stand for it. All I did is screwed it together and stained it. It was the oak base cabinets.

dmschiff

Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinking. The fact that you used 2 cabinets...I assume that allows for an extra support and weight distribution.
Did you make your own canopy?
THanks!
Michele

donald

Yes I did, thats part of the reason I made the stand. The canopy looked to good for the base cabinet stand so I made a stand to match.

dmschiff

Donald,
I checked the oak stand at our local homedepot, but only the front are Oak. The rest is particle board. I might trust that with a 55, but not comfortable with a 120.
CCfl,
Did you make your canopy and trim for the bottom of the tank. How did you get it to match so perfectly? What kind of wood is it? Were they special order cabinets or in stock? ( I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the tank started, but most cabinets are special order and will take at least 6 weeks or longer. Sorry for all the questions, but I really like the way yours turned out. This is exactly what I had in mind only in a cherry tone.
Thanks!

dmschiff

CCFl,
One more question! Did you dummy the drawers (remove the actual drawer body and just place/glue the fronts) in order to add height for your sump?
Thanks!
Michele

ccfl

CCfl,
Did you make your canopy and trim for the bottom of the tank. How did you get it to match so perfectly? What kind of wood is it? Were they special order cabinets or in stock? ( I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the tank started, but most cabinets are special order and will take at least 6 weeks or longer. Sorry for all the questions, but I really like the way yours turned out. This is exactly what I had in mind only in a cherry tone.
Thanks!
They are maple cabinets with a mocha glaze and they are special order thru Home Depot. The canopy is trimmed out with 4 1/2" matching floor trim and crown molding and around the bottom of the tank it is the same floor trim cut down to about 3". The order thru Home Depot took 21 days Lowe's said 6 wks so I was also in a hurry so went with Home Depot.

ccfl

CCFl,
One more question! Did you dummy the drawers (remove the actual drawer body and just place/glue the fronts) in order to add height for your sump?
Thanks!
Michele
These cabinet where sink base so the dummy drawer front just snap on and off and on one side just cut out the strips of wood inbetween the two doors and above the doors and you get full access to everything when needed on that side and they just slip back in place.

lmforbis

You can use an unfinished stock base cabinet from Home Depot. They are kind of low though. You would want to beef up the structure with 2x4s. I wouldn’t trust the structure since it wasn’t built for that much weight. I looked at that option but in the end built my own cabinet from 2x4s and shinned it with 3/4 plywood. I used stock oak cabinet doors. It was cheaper in the end and I could make it the dimensions I wanted, especially the height, I like 42”.