Cool macro

maxalmon

after much debate, decided on the D700 for the full sensor. Best decision I ever made, blows the 300 outa the water.
I used a Nikon 105 VR lens on this image

natclanwy

Nice shot!!, I really would like add a macro lens to my collection keep going back and forth on whether to get the 100mm or the 60mm. The 60 would be a little more versatle but the extra zoom on the 100 makes for some cool shots.
By the way did you use any external lighting, and what settings did you use (iso, shutter speed, F-stop) just curious how much light you lose through the macro.

maxalmon

I wouldn't go with anything uder a 100mm for a macro lens IMO. With the 50 & 60mm macros you have to be very close to the subject, this can cause problems with corals placement in the tank and being able to capture the image.
I don't use a flash as they are pretty much worthless when photographing a tank.
This image was with a 105mm VR lens, iso 100, fstop 22

natclanwy

What was your shutter speed? I'm guessing a second or longer.
I was looking at the 60 mainly because I can use it for more than just aquarium pics and I already have a 70-200mm and a 100mm-400mm so I have the 100mm range convered pretty well I just have to be 5ft from my tank to take pics. A 60mm would let me shoot some wide angle shots and let me take some 1:1 macros. plus it wouldn't weigh 4lbs like my other two lenses.