Cool Money Saving Tips...

mony97

Hey guys and gals, I am new to the hobby and as someone put it I am indeed "bleeding money". I dont mind and knew that this was not a cheap hobby, and as another poster on here stated the livestock and a finished tank is priceless. I was, however, wondering both for myself and for future newbs what are some of your tips for saving money, not only up front but long term.
Thx everyone..

cimpow137

My best money saving tip is to buy 1 or 2 pieces of liverock and buy the rest as baserock. Also if you know what you're planning to keep coral wise, buy the light you need at the beginning instead of upgrading every 2 years.

fretfreak13

+1 on the light. I'm doing that right now. >< And don't get crushed coral substrate, you'll want to change it eventually.

errattiq

+1 on the buying the one or two pieces of live rock and the rest base rock. You can buy regular sand from like home depot too. Forget which one you want though, there are a few posts you can search for on here where it'll tell you the exact kind you want. Buy the biggest tank you can afford and can put up with maintaining. I keep finding myself buying something and a little while later wanting something bigger. Buy frag corals insted of colonies, buy fish young and grow them rather than buying a show sized specimen. and my number one recommendation: KEEP UP WITH TANK MAINTENANCE ie..( WATER CHANGES). By doing this seemingly cheap and routine task it will save you TONS of $$ in the future from problems caused by poor tank husbandry, trust me, i've been there lol

drsteve2001

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3190576
+1 on the light. I'm doing that right now. >< And don't get crushed coral substrate, you'll want to change it eventually.
damn i am to late...why not coral substrate....that is what i have...how do i ever change it....get a garbage can and siphon my tank to it and only change the substrate?

drsteve2001

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/3190594
+1 on the buying the one or two pieces of live rock and the rest base rock. You can buy regular sand from like home depot too. Forget which one you want though, there are a few posts you can search for on here where it'll tell you the exact kind you want. Buy the biggest tank you can afford and can put up with maintaining. I keep finding myself buying something and a little while later wanting something bigger. Buy frag corals insted of colonies, buy fish young and grow them rather than buying a show sized specimen. and my number one recommendation: KEEP UP WITH TANK MAINTENANCE ie..( WATER CHANGES). By doing this seemingly cheap and routine task it will save you TONS of $$ in the future from problems caused by poor tank husbandry, trust me, i've been there lol
Water changes how often and how much...i have a 54 gallon corner tank and i do a water change every 3 weeks..10%..5gallons..by the way what is base rock vs live rock?

jpkboca

get any equipment possible used, from your local reef club members, craigslist.
DIY where possible [ie. a regular small tank for a sump modified, instead of these big expensive sumps].
Rock off craigslist/fellow reeefers, and just enough, rest can be base.
research/research so you dont buy unessecary stuff [so many reefers do this and end up selling stuff almost new because they didnt research]
If into corals eventually, buy frags from fellow reefers, they are cheaper, watch them grow [and dont destroy the ocean either, being you got yours from a fellow tank]
go slow...

mony97

Originally Posted by drsteve2001 http:///forum/post/3190614
Water changes how often and how much...i have a 54 gallon corner tank and i do a water change every 3 weeks..10%..5gallons..by the way what is base rock vs live rock?
At 3 weeks you should be doing a minimum of 20%, so for you that would be 10g, also base rock is rock with essentially nothing on it, live rock (LR) is rock with lots of living creatures on it that will help keep your tank clean and filtered.This thread should be very helpful. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/157354/faq-purchasing-live-rock

ryancw01

My biggest money saving tip is buy an RO/DI unit. It will save you big headaches on maintenance as well as you will not have to buy water from somewhere and lug it around for water changes. Saves you money in the long run for sure.

kraylen

Dont spend money on expensive "reef products"
Super Glue Gel, Cyanoacrylite based will save you so much cash. Most "reef glue" is x5 the price of its generic cousins.
Aquamend - Sold at HD - 3.99 stick of putty as opposed to a 18.99 stick of putty... SAME EXACT THING.
Filter Floss(aka pillow stuffing) found at WM can save you hundreds on filter pads, floss etc... One 2 dollar bag lasts me 6 months. Great for polishing water.

scsinet

I agree with the light comment... and it goes beyond that.
Buy the right equipment the first time. Research your purchases, and buy equipment that might be more expensive at first, but that performs well and lasts long. Saving $100 on that cheapo skimmer might sound good at first, but it's a waste when you throw it out a year later to buy something that meets your expectations. Invest in equipment, don't just piss money away.
The DIY point is also good.. learn to build things yourself. Stands, canopies, and sumps are within the means most people with basic tools to accomplish. Even if you have to buy tools, you can use tools for other things besides your tank. You'll learn more in the process too. If you don't try to do things yourself, you'll never know if you can.
- When buying lighting, consider the operational costs versus the up front. Compact fluorescent fixtures are cheap, but the lamps have to be replaced so often, you're far better off to invest in that T5, you'll be way ahead in a couple years.
- GO SLOW. Rushing to introduce livestock causes premature deaths that discourage, frustrate, and drive up costs.
- Mix your own seawater, and if you have any sort of sizable tank, invest in RODI rather than buying water. Consider the time and gas to keep having to go out to get water.
- Don't invest in gimmicky equipment, chemicals, or other nonsense. Good husbandry, light stocking, and patience are far cheaper, safer, and more rewarding than going overboard and having to reach for miracle cures like algae chemicals, UV units, the list goes on.
- Buy bulk chemicals rather than bottled stuff. Pickling lime that you can get at the grocery store for a couple bucks is the same stuff you pay $20 for half as much on in jars labeled "Kalkwasser mix." Buy ferric oxide rather than phosban. Buy epson salts instead of magnesium supplements. Spend the money you are spending on lofty additives on good test kits instead.

beaslbob

All of the aquarium products do exist for a real need.
But if you can stand a less professional look, here are just some thoughts for a FO and soft coral tank. (probably not good for sps corals)
Macro algaes in an in tank refugium (an egg crate partition with 2 utility fixtures)
tap water with no water changes.
limestone rocks from local quarry ($20/ton).
play sand from home depot.
external sump/refugium:
_____pvc overflow
_____Storage containers
_____wastebasket wet/dry with crushed oyster shell filter media
Calcium/alk/magnesium maintenance with calcium chloride, baking soda, magnesium chloride, epsom salts
Use pickling lime for kalk.
With some effort, make your own rocks from concrete, sand, oyster shells, and various things (rice krispies, straws, Spaghetti) to make it porus.
Cycling with mollies
culturing your own micro algae/rotifers.
utility fixture lighting.
using a 4' long tank to fit the building materials hardware.
my .02

flower

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3190835
I agree with the light comment... and it goes beyond that.
Buy the right equipment the first time. Research your purchases, and buy equipment that might be more expensive at first, but that performs well and lasts long. Saving $100 on that cheapo skimmer might sound good at first, but it's a waste when you throw it out a year later to buy something that meets your expectations. Invest
in equipment, don't just piss money away.
The DIY point is also good.. learn to build things yourself. Stands, canopies, and sumps are within the means most people with basic tools to accomplish. Even if you have to buy tools, you can use tools for other things besides your tank. You'll learn more in the process too. If you don't try to do things yourself, you'll never know if you can.
- When buying lighting, consider the operational costs versus the up front. Compact fluorescent fixtures are cheap, but the lamps have to be replaced so often, you're far better off to invest in that T5, you'll be way ahead in a couple years.
- GO SLOW. Rushing to introduce livestock causes premature deaths that discourage, frustrate, and drive up costs.
- Mix your own seawater, and if you have any sort of sizable tank, invest in RODI rather than buying water. Consider the time and gas to keep having to go out to get water.
- Don't invest in gimmicky equipment, chemicals, or other nonsense. Good husbandry, light stocking, and patience are far cheaper, safer, and more rewarding than going overboard and having to reach for miracle cures like algae chemicals, UV units, the list goes on.
- Buy bulk chemicals rather than bottled stuff. Pickling lime that you can get at the grocery store for a couple bucks is the same stuff you pay $20 for half as much on in jars labeled "Kalkwasser mix." Buy ferric oxide rather than phosban. Buy epson salts instead of magnesium supplements. Spend the money you are spending on lofty additives on good test kits instead.

I couldn't agree more. + 1000...

florida joe

If you have a canopy over your tank, go to your local hardware store and buy a roll of aluminum reflective tape. Tape the entire inside of your canopy for added illumination at a low cost. My tip of the day

mony97

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3190959
If you have a canopy over your tank, go to your local hardware store and buy a roll of aluminum reflective tape. Tape the entire inside of your canopy for added illumination at a low cost. My tip of the day

All of these have been great tips, and I am seriously considering buying an RO unit now. (How big are they?) But this one takes the cake so far that to me is so simple and obvious but a genuine great idea! Thx

chrisnif

Holy awesomeness I was going to tape aluminum foil in it but you're idea sounds way better!

the_bandit

C R A I G S L I S T . C O M
Best friend IMO. People break down their entire tanks and sell all their equipment for 1/3 of the original price. There are amazing sales there. I would constantly scan the site for possible buys.
Sometimes chemicals arent always the answer. Dont add things you either dont NEED or that you cant test for.
Buy a good testing kit.
Buy a refractometer. Hydrometers are good but refractometers are 99% correct when callibrated correctly.
Buy a protein skimmer that handles up to 2x the size of your tank (if you can afford it, of course) If you can't, Aqua C and Octopus Hang on Back skimmers are very good brands.

gpkozmp

So by doing this what does it accomplish? Would it be the same thing as individual reflector's or would I still need those?
I am planning on a retro-fit of 8 T5's and well if I could just do something like this and save the money why not. Would I be able to just get this tape instead of the individual reflector's?

bulldog123

Originally Posted by gpkozmp
http:///forum/post/3191981
So by doing this what does it accomplish? Would it be the same thing as individual reflector's or would I still need those?
I am planning on a retro-fit of 8 T5's and well if I could just do something like this and save the money why not. Would I be able to just get this tape instead of the individual reflector's?
You still have to buy the reflectors. The tape will add to not replace. If you want to save money look at Denvers love marine club always something for sale there.
My money saving tip is let a friend keep the tank. You get all the enjoyment and a free meal/beer.
Unfortunately for most of us we are the that friend