Cool things you couldnt live without..

dstoneburg

Having recently stumbled upon a few things I couldnt imagine living without in regards to saltwater, it got me thinking, what else is there that im missing out on?
For me?...
'tubing holders' - Basically just suction cups that hold airline tubing, its a godesend in regards to drip acclimation.
Python Squeeze Siphon Attachment - No longer will you need to try and get a siphon going again. Simply attach to the end of the hose and squeeze and it starts it for you!
And the obvious turkey baster. Too many reasons why I love it. I find it better then a PH to clear off the LR, when a PH gets down near the bottom it starts a sandstorm, you can simply control the flow with a turkey baster.
Im also curious as to peoples acclimation process.. I find using a gallon jug, and cutting off the very top works well. The little 'handle' where you can place your tubing into it. And works very well! No need to clean afterwards, just throw away!

puffer32

I couldn't live without my pump to do water changes. Takes water in and out of tank in mins. I also could not live without my RO unit, dragging water from my LFS for 55 and 150 tanks would be about impossible. I don't think I could live without my korelia pumps either. No more sand storms and turn over rate is incredible compared to maxijets, etc.
I am with you on the baster

For acclamations, I use a small salt bucket and wrap the tubing around the handle to keep it stable. I use the bucket lid to keep it dark, less stressful to keep the new fish in the dark, and keeps it from jumping out.

reefkprz

my new automatic top off set up. I dont know how I lived without it before. now that I have it I will never set up another tank without one.

uberlink

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
my new automatic top off set up. I dont know how I lived without it before. now that I have it I will never set up another tank without one.
Ditto on the ATO setup. Absolute key to a successful tank. And they make water changes easier too...just put the pump into your bucket of new saltwater while siphoning out old water, and it's like a transfusion.

m0nk

This is going to sound obvious, but if anyone new is looking at this thread it's good to see from another person's experience. I couldn't live without a couple spare tanks around to use for QT. When I started the hobby I didn't think much about the idea of doing it but now that I'm more experienced I can say that having at least 1 tank to use for QT is something you can't live without.

mie

Seriously, It has to be my 55 gal mixing station of saltwater. It is so nice to have all that pre made water there in case of emergency.

lexluethar

My MH Sunpod setup with blue and white LED lights (separate switched).
Also this one may sound silly, but automatic timers for those three lights. Before with my florecent light i just turned it off, and for a week with the Sunpod i manually turned on/off the lights, timers are great!

matt b

i just got a reefkeeper2 and i dont no what i would do without it its a timer for lights and u can just push 1 button and all the pumps and powerheads will turn off for like feeding or waterchanges its so sweet.. and my auto top off man all this stuff its like i dont have to do anything but just look at the fish

uberlink

Now that I think about it, I recently bought something that I could live without...but that I absolutely love. Neptune Systems AquaController III. I can now check current tank status online, adjust temperature and programming, etc. It even shuts off my main pumps and sends me an email if something malfunctions and spills water on the floor. Love it. Could live without, but wouldn't want to!

reefkprz

Originally Posted by mie
Seriously, It has to be my 55 gal mixing station of saltwater. It is so nice to have all that pre made water there in case of emergency.
having premixed water is a blessing, when I installed my auto top off I put a mixing tank under the RO holding tank. I have to agree with you there. keeps you ready for emergecies.

S

swalchemist

All my TUNZE equipment nothing else compares (yet)
In order of importance:
1. Osmolator Universal
2. 6100s and multicontroller 7095
3. Wavebox.
I did'nt know how simple things could be till I got these actually in that order LOL.

al mc

Refugium.....stopped my nitrogen cycle problems and provides place for pods/natural foods.

S

swalchemist

I should also say my LFS without them I would not have a tank. livestock nor know of where to learn as much as they have since taught me.

t316

My wife...enough said.
Without her understanding (or either looking the other way) I would be way gone in this hobby by now.