Cooling aquarium under $8

carlos413

Its getting warmer as summer nears. Yesterday my tank was at 82 degrees, I normally keep it at 78 degrees. I went out and got a small clip on fan for under $8. I have it faceing my t5's fanning the heat from the fixture away from the tank. I have managed to keep my temp at steady 76 degrees. I only need it on when my lights come on, I am trying to figure out how to add another timer so I can have it come on with the lights in the morning. At the moment I dont have another outlet to plug one in so I have to turn it on manually.

S

saxman

Why don't you just connect it to the same timer? Get a heavy-duty appliance timer to handle the current load and a multi-tap or get one of the timer/powerstrip combos sold for this purpose. What might be better would be to run them separately and let the fan run an extra hour after the lights turn off to give yourself a lower "baseline" temp. That way, you have more "headroom" in terms of temp.

travelerjp98

I'm suprised that no one else commednted on this.
It is a simple cheap solution... I like it!
If I still had my T5s I would of probably done that because I had the same problem but I switched to LEDS!!!

bugsman

I'm so glad I read this. I was thinking I would need a chiller but this ought to work for me too. Great tip and one I will use. Off to the WalMart. Thanks,

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos413 http:///forum/thread/385872/cooling-aquarium-under-8#post_3386856
I got a dual timer Hooked up the lights and fan. Works like a charm.
I use these from Walmart....about $7 and they swivel...I have them set to go on with my MH lights on the 225G
I also have one on my 54G....

I also have a window A/C unit in my fish room....I keep this room cooler then the whole house....IT IS A LOT CHEAPER then chillers for 5 tanks...ALTHOUGH I DO have a chiller on my Seahorse tank