Cooling New Light System

tboone

Hi,
I just set up a new hood and light system. I have an IceCap 660 running 4 110w lamps, two are Super White 50/50s and two are Super Actinics. This is on a 55+ tank.
The hood is open in the back. First question, do I need to run any kind of fan across these? Second question, should I leave the glass door things across the top of my tank (ie, between the lamps and the water), or eliminate them?
Thanks!
Tim

slick

I would take off your glass tops. This will help keep things cooler. You will have to moniter your water temp to see if it rises when your lights are on. If it gose up to much you will have to add some type of fan to move the hot air around.

tboone

Thanks, Slick. By the way, what are your thoughts on how long these lights should be on each day?
Tim

toddpolish

my 4-36" don't raise the temp much at all. I have 1 tiny fan in the back just to keep the bulbs cool...but I don't have to have it. My bulbs are about 4-1/2" off the surface.

slick

Your photo period will depend on what type of corals you have. I suggest 8-12 hrs. What corals do you have and what size tank?