copepods

fyi

they will do it on their own if nothing eats them..
i just attended the MMC 2006 yesterday in Ann Arbor, MI.
Sandy Shoup gets into the "bugs" of the tanks quite a bit! You can also add a refugium where they will live without bein eaten or disturbed.. It will all happen naturally, and there are TONS more bugs that live in ALL of our tanks too!!! I got alot of info from the conference, other speakers were:
Eric Borneman, Scott Micheal, and Steven Pro.

nm reef

Sure.....there are sources available on-line where they can be purchased. Many hobbyists develop refugiums which can replenish populations in the display......I;ve had success by requesting small amounts of grunge/crud from the bottom of tanks udes to cure large amounts of LR.......

fyi

NM is very right about the swapping of sands.. Sandy got into that a bit too, and she says she doesnt clean her sump due to all of the creatures that live in there.. She also swaps sand between people she can trust to keep all creatures at a good number, in case one of the species starts to dwindle.

alyssia

I bought a small HOB fuge and got some pods online. I put the pods in the fuge with a piece of LR, chaeto, and sand and now I have TONS of pods.

merredeth

You may laugh at this but my hang on back filter on my aggressive tank has an overabundance of them.
Every now and then I literally scoop them out with a teaspoon, keeping them submerged in saltwater and transport them to the commmunity tank on the other side of the house. Do they live or not after transport? Who knows? But I have plenty in the community tank where the mandarin is living.
The only difference between the tanks is the agressive tank is 2 degrees cooler (79) versus the community tank's toasty 82 degrees.
My tests are always pretty darn close each time.
Denise M.

criminal

i'm turning my HOB filter into a little fuge and i want as many copepods as possible. how long do you think it will take to have such a large population of them?

pfitz44

What are you looking for a large popultion for?
They will start showing up in a week or so... Thats how long it took in my main tank.

merredeth

Originally Posted by criminal
i'm turning my HOB filter into a little fuge and i want as many copepods as possible. how long do you think it will take to have such a large population of them?
It didn't take long for me to have the problem. Maybe 90 days. Now I just leave the HOB filter there and just change the carbon every week because copods are good.
Denise M.

Totally agree with NM Reef. Go to a LFS and get or buy some sludge from their LR container. This stuff is usually crawling with copepods and you can seed your pod population that way. I placed about 1/4 full of a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff and in a week, my tank was bonafide pod healthy.
NM Reef??? You down by Albq? If so, any decent LFS there? I am up by Farmington and the only place around here is in Durango and they are very limited. Any decent places in Albq, please let me know.

criminal

so i just walk up to the guy in the aquarium department and say "hey can i have some sludge from your Live Rock tank?"

Depends really....some will just give it to you and others will charge you for it. Usually tho, since it is not a regularly purchased item...most LFS people will just give you some for free especially if it is one that you go to frequently (helps keep your business)