Copper cure????

nasotang00

I have recently dismantled my 37 gallon reef and moved most stuff to my 55.I have a lot of the live rock from the 37 in a bucket with a powerhead and saltwater. These rock have a lot of aiptasia on them. I understand that copper will kill inverts and anemones. Do you think that I can medicate that bucket of live rock with copper and will it kill off the aiptasia?? Will it destroy all the good stuff in the rock as well?? It is good foundation rock that I would like to use at a later time in the reef.

kris walker

Hi there,
I have heard (and it makes complete sense to me) that if you put copper in a tank with lr, the lr will absorb some of it. Once this happens, it may take a very long time for all the copper to diffuse out of the lr. As a result, it will make the lr virtually useless for future reef tanks. I don't know if copper kills the benefitial bacteria though.
sam

keitho

copper, unless in ridiculously large doses, only affect multicellular invertebrates and plants. it has no effect on bacteria, but bacteria is only a small part of the cool stuff in live rock! :) hope this helps...