copper in tank

hotch

I am getting ready to set up my 75g tank again. Before I had a FO tank and ran copper in it. Now I want a tank with live rock and eventually (maybe) corals. What type of prep work do I need to do to ensure that it is free of the copper. It has been down for almost two years and I will be using all the same equipment, wet/dry, heaters, powerheads, skimmers and UV. Thanks.

frogger

I don't know if you know this or not but do not use the same substrate, dead coral, filter media etc.... The copper stays in it. Not sure but I've heard that copper can stick to the sides of your tank. I wouldn't think that it would be enough to be harmful though. Good luck!

mr . salty

Copper is a pretty nasty thing in a saltwater tank..In any tank for that matter.It will seep into anything it can including plastic,rock,substrate,and even the silicone that holds the tank itself together..Then slowly leech back into the water.Most likly everything you are planning on using is infected(for lack of a better word)with copper)So you will probably never be able to keep inverts or corals in this setup...The only way to know for sure is to fill it up with saltwater,setup the filters,let it run for a few days toa week and check the water for copper...Do not add any rock or substrate during this test as if copper is present it will be ruined...