Copper in tank?

timsedwards

Hey guys,
A bit of bad news, for those who know me (DVS, Buzz, eng50) you will know that I ahve had troubles but got my fish and clean up crew back today and all seems well!
HOWEVER, foolishly I put some of the water in from the LFS, and later realised they use sources of copper in there for disease treatment etc!!! Argghhhh! I ahvent got a copper test kit, will try and get one today before LFS shuts, but do you think there will be any in there? If so how do i get rid of it, rumour has it you cant :(
Looking forward to your responses!
Tim.

timsedwards

Anyone any ideas? I couldnt get any test kits down the pet superstore as they dont do them! Grrrr!
So I will have to wait until tomorrow and I can get a test kit, still leaves me very worried sleeping tonight!!
If anyone can calm my nerves please post!!! :eek:
Tim. :cool:

robb

Put a fresh carbon pack in there for a day. If it is very little it should take care of it.

buzz

Are you certain your LFS had copper in their water? Did they tell you they did?
How much water did you put in?

timsedwards

Hi Buzz and Robb,
Will Carbon really do the trick? I have a mesh bag in my mechanical with that in at the moment, does it have to be a fresh one (not a problem if it is, i have 2 spare :D ).
Buzz - Im not sure, but when i asked for them to look after my corals they said they couldnt put them in the fish tank because at that LFS they use copper based treatments, should i therefore presume there should be traces in there? How much did i put in? well probably didnt even equate to 1/4 of a gallon, probably an 1/8 maybe not even that, still got me very scared tho! :(
Any more thoughts?
Cheers guys,
Tim :cool:

robb

I would put fresh carbon in. It can't hurt. I'm no expert on this so as for more info I will let the experts answer your other ??

maryc137

Maybe try a polyfilter. I think they're supposed to remove copper. I would guess that you probably didn't get enough in your tank to hurt, but the carbon and a polyfilter wouldn't hurt.

aqua blue

I would try a poly-filter. They remove copper and change to a blue color as the copper is removed giving a visual indication as well.
:)

timsedwards

OK great! What are polyfilters? Inserts for fluvals or something?
I will buy a test kit tomorrow and see what comes of it! Hopefully it will be a positive outcome but ill guess well have to see!
Thanks for your help guys,
Tim.

dindi

Carbon will not remove it and may add phosphates..are you 100% sure there was copper? If it was just the water and you only added fish and acclimated like you should then you will only have trace amounts which won't hurt anything..but if you added live rock or sand with copper then you can expect some problems if you have corals or inverts. Use "Poly-Bio_filter, Inc to remove excess copper, it is NOT cheap but works

marinerock

HEY TIM.....
GET 2 KENT MARINE CHEMI-PURES AND PLACE THEM IN THE
SUMP IF YOU HAVE A SUMP....IF NOT, PLACE THEM IN THE TANK
ONE AT A TIME AND ROTATE THEM FOR A FEW DAYS....
AFTER YOU TAKE THE FIRST ONE OUT....RINSE IT OUT WITH COLD WATER AND PUT THE OTHER ONE IN....JUST KEEP ROTATING THEM
FOR A FEW DAYS....RINSING THEM OFF WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT
OF THE SUMP....
REMEMBER TO RINSE THEM OUT FIRST, RIGHT OUT OF THE CONTAINER BEFORE YOU PLACE THEM IN THE SUMP...OR ELSE THEY WILL RELEASE BLACK CARBON INTO YOUR WATER....
HAVE A GOOD NITE SLEEP...NOT THAT TERRIBLE....
MOST FISH STORES DO USE COPPER AND THERE IS NO WAY TO
AVOID GETTING TRACES IN OUR TANKS ANYHOW....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

gatorcsm

Anyway, all of us who use a product such as B-ionic, or any other 'all-in-one' supplement, contain traces of copper, as it is necessary in minute quanitities for healthy tanks...

timsedwards

Hey guys,
Right some good ideas raised there, will be buying a test kit this morning (UK time) and will post on this thread again if I find much copper :(
Cheers for your suggestions,
Tim :cool: