Copper Pipes and RO/DI Units

nasotang00

This may be a dumb question but for all those who either have an RO or a DI or an RO/DI unit. How do you have it plumbed? Do you have copper pipe running to the unit then use regular tubing? Do you have it plumbed directly from the mains water line?
I am just curious, if you have copper piping, can the amount of copper that seeds into the water affect a reef tank? I would assume that some of the filtration that the units use will remove copper, but still. I think you know what I am getting at. I don't have one yet but I am looking to get one. I was looking at the Kent RO-Full Size 50gpd unit.
Please share your exp or input on this.
Thanks all, as usual. :D

mullethead

got one off e-bay a few weeks back made by waterworld, 75 gallon a day reef system ro/di. paid 139.00. i'm pleased with it so far. the plumbing into it doesnt matter as long as your pressure is sufficent. on the output go with poly or plastic if you can as the water is "mineral hungry" after it goes thru the unit. mine is mounted under the kitchen sink because thats the only place i could hook up the drain for wastewater. my line going to my tank 2 rooms away is copper (though it shouldnt be) its an abandoned ice maker line that was left in place after remodeling. i use 2 high quality ice maker filters from home depot behind the tank to help with any leaching untill i can change it out.
these units are always on e-bay they are new and there is a lot of info on their page.
hope i helped
scott

nasotang00

Hey mullet, thanks for the input. I will be running about 2 rooms away to the tank as well. I think I will use some small strong tubing (not copper) to run from the Unit to the tank. Do you use it to constantly drip to the sump for top off? Or do you have it drain into a large container for making batches of water. I think I am going to have to run 2 line from the RO unit. The boss of the house wants some "clean" drinking water as well so I will probably be branching the output. One to the sump of the aquarium for a constant evaporation drip and the other to a water fountain type thing. ~ not the kind you see hanging off the wall.
Thanks again

mullethead

mines not automatic yet but will be soon when i figure out what type i want to go with.
i plan on splitting mine too for a drinking water tank. just do it before the di cartridge. no need to de-ionize drinking water in my opinion and your cartridge will last longer

keitho

yeah...just make sure you don't use ANY metal tubing as the RO/DI water will actively leach metal ions out of the tubing walls. try to stay with polyethylene tubing. besides :) the polyethylene tubing is easier to run and costs less! also beware of brass fittings because, just like copper tubing, they can leach deadly copper ions into the water you use in your tank. try to stay with plastic fittings, if possible :)