copper question.

mr.clownfish

i set up a little QT tank and added some copper to it. my clowns fish had ick, how long will the copper treatment take for the ick to go away? they have been in there for 3 days now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What copper are you using and what does the instructions say? Since that is a new QT, you best keep a close eye out for water quality issues. Better to have used hypo-salinity to treat ich.

mr.clownfish

it just says copper power on the bottle. it says "the safest copper treatment available for treatment of: external parasites, ich, oodinium, and Fungus."
and on the back the dosage says "use at 2.5ppm copper: one fluid ounce to each 20 gals of water. do NOT repeat dosage."
its a clear container with aqua blue colored liquid inside.
i used water from my tank so the water isnt new, the QT is like half a gallon, its one of those critter box things. i hooked up a 3gal little whisper filter to it. i used like 5 drops of the copper.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't give much hope for your sick fish under these conditions. Please take a look at the quarantine information in the FAQ. The QT is not at all adequate.
You will need to get a test kit that is compatible with that product, to bring your copper levels up to the dose suggested by the product information.

Copper Power is a chelated copper sulfate similar to coppersafe I have used it in the past when I couldnt find coppersafe it works well but good luck trying to find a test kit for chelated copper sulfate ....but since you started hypo just a fyi