Copperband butterfly in reef

y2says

I've done some digging and I've seen some tanks with copperband butterflyfish. I know as a general rule is that butterflies are not reef safe, but is it one of those cases where it's a case by case basis on what is or isn't.

bentrue

they will eat aptasia, that is a plus. i think it is a case by case thing. my LFS (very good LFS) has one in a display tank and it harms nothing.
for the most part they should leave SPS and soft corals alone, but will nip more at LPS. that is from a book, not my personal experience.

y2says

Again, I'm still trying to look for a yellow fish, so that wouldn't be too bad even though it's not quite yellow.

y2says

I don't want an angel for the fact that they may nip on corals. Also, I have a sailfin and blue tang right now and I don't want another one. I was thinking about the yellow coris wrasse.

razi burney

Copperband are on the safer side but very difficult to keep in captivity. There bright coloration is difficult to maintain. Can have one for months and all of a sudden he will be dead. Not a fish that can handle stress and water quality fluctuations but this goes for most of the butterflies.
I would rather prefer Long Nose instead of a copperband. Looks good, has all the qualities of a copperband, yellow in color and is more likely to feed a variety of food. Must feed daily in small amounts if tank is less than 1 yr old. Might not find enough on rock . ..

I had a copperband in my reef with some corals but the only thing it went after was my christmas tree rock...it seemed to like the worm-type stuff in my aquarium. Then again, not all fish of the same type act the same. Might be worth a try, I loved mine...but I have heard bad things about how long they will last in captivity.

nasotang00

The long nose yellow is a good choice. My lfs has had one in their display 150 for over a year with nothing bad coming from it. Similar to the copperband in shape and attitude but not the aptasia consumer, unfortunately.

razi burney

Worms and feather dusters will be eaten up by the copperband. I am not sure about long nose but it may do so as well. I have heard both being kept more than 2 yrs in captivity by advanced hobbist. Advanced means advanced as they are delicate.