Copperband Butterfly

kidwicked

Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Safe: Monitor
Diet: Clam
Origin: Indian Ocean
found this:
Copperband Butterflies are one of the more difficult to keep fish which are commonly available. They do not respond well to shipping and can be difficult to feed. Proper quarantine procedures are essential for success.
Contributed by (no name given)
There have also been reports of these fish being used in reef tanks to eat aiptasia which they do a good job on, though your reef is still at risk. Butterfly fish like to pick at things. To get them to start eating black worms, put in rock crevices or a clam on the half shells. Also brine shrimp fortied with sera can stop a hunger strike. When transferring these fish don´t net them, use a container, it is best not to expose them to air.
Contributed by Ashley Bond
The Copper-banded Butterflyfish (Chelmon Rostratus) is a very fragile fish, and it's lack of hardiness makes it less resistant to disease. They are quite difficult and aggressive - very territorial. Only one male per tank is reccommended. They are best in a species tank, a community only if it is very large and spacious. Small live foods are best, but they are picky eaters. Sexing: Males may have a steeper head profile.
Contributed by a visitor
I've had much success with the copperband, and I think it's a relatively easy fish to keep. Mine doesn't eat anything other than brine shrimp. I wouldn't say they are picky eaters as most butterflies only eat brine or mysis shrimp. Regarding corals, my copperband has never touched any of my corals, but I would still say that there is a risk of it starting to pick on coral when it's hungry.
Contributed by a visitor
While it looks like a great fish, it should only be attempted after extensive research. They are very hard to get to eat.
Contributed by Dan
I've owned a Copperfish for about 1 1/2 years now and its fine, not hard to keep at all. I'm not an expert, in fact I just started my 450 liter about 4 weeks ago and had the copper band fish in a 1 month old tank (220 liters). I do have a reef with corals and anenomes (in the 450 liter) and the butterfly doesn't bother them at all, I even have a feather duster, I just keep my fish well fed and they don't bother anything in the tank. I got mine to eat with brine shrimp (frozen). Fairly easy fish to keep.

xdave

You must get one that isn't cyanide caught. Hawaiin ones have the best chance to survive. You also need to be one of those people that keep their water consistantly perfect . If you keep them well fed they usually won't bother anything.

dogstar

My was very safe with my softies and LPS and anemones and crutations. I dont keep SPS or Clams so cant say about them. It did like to eat worms.

aquageek

I have had a Australian Copperband for several months. I was at the LFS the day it and one other CBB arrived. I went back the next day and made the owner feed it in front of me to make sure it would eat. It actually ate flake food. I think the clown in the tank was teaching it to eat the flakes. I also think that the less stops the fish makes from collection the better.
My CBB eats everything now, pellets, flakes, frozen mysis, gel type frozen foods and even nibbles on the seaweed clip for my purple tang and majestic angel. Yes they are delicate. You need to introduce them into a stress free environment initially so they will start eating. Offer several types of foods if needed. Once they get through an acclimation period of let's say a few weeks and are eating more than likely they will live for quite a while.