Copperbanded Butterfly

yzfr6

A little copperbanded butterflyfish was given to me a couple of days ago by a friend who purchased it because it looked cool in the store but really he had no business buying a fish like that anyway.
So anyway I dont know too much about these fish either except they are pretty hard to get feeding normally. For now I put him in a 20g quarantine with a few pieces of pvc pipe for security+hidding. He doesnt look stressed out so I thinks its time for him to start eating.
Anyone ever own one of these with success? If so what did you offer it to eat and how did it do in the long run...thanks

pmauro

Very difficult you may want to try live foods first. Good Luck, Kep us informed, I want on in my tank in the worst way.
Scientific Name: Chelmon rostratus
Family: Chaetodontidae
Description:
The Copperband Butterflyfish is very easily recognized by the copper colored vertical bands over a silver body, a black eye spot near its dorsal fin and a long snout. The Copperband is a very attractive fish and a great addition to a reef tank.
Natural Environment:
Comes from reefs in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Copperband butterflyfish are not yet propagated in captivity.
Care:
Reef Suitability: Butterflyfish in general tend to be viewed as potential coral eaters, but Copperband butterflyfish are generally reef safe. They will tend to deplete the tank of small fan worms.
Disposition: Very non-aggressive fish. It can be bullied by more aggressive fish, so be on the lookout for this when introducing a new fish.
Feeding: The Copperband will get part of its nutrition from feeding on the small life forms found on live rock. It is especially fond of small fan worms. They will also take smallish meaty foods such as frozen brine shrimp. Keep in mind that they have very small mouths and will usually not attempt to eat larger foods that are offered. Copperband butterflyfish may compete for food with other live rock foragers such as Mandarins.
Hardiness: The Copperband can be a somewhat delicate fish, but once successfully acclimated, seems to do well.
Temperature: Does well within normal reef tank temperature ranges of 75-84°F.
Size: Copperband butterflyfish can get up to 8 in., but are usually found at about 1/2 that size in the home tank. Minimum tank size should be about 55 gallons to provide for its live rock grazing.

yzfr6

Well so far I have put some live tubiflex worms in with it and it picks at them pretty well, but still doesnt really eat too much. The good news is that it seems to like to compete for the food that my coral beauty which is also in quaratine is feeding off of. The Coral Beauty eats very well so theres no worries there
Next I will try to get some live brine shrimp, I tried to get some over the weekend but the LFS was out. I'm hoping when the Copperband goes into the 90g it will feel a little more comfortable and eat a little more regularly...will keep posted on it

abhaya

I have had one for over 3 years I started him on live brine shrimp. I kept feeding my tank normally and he cought on great he is now fat and sassy
Good luck

yzfr6

Thats what I hope mine will eventually do. So you say you've had yours for 3 years? I was wondering how big and how fast has it grown. I've heard they usually stay fairly small in aquariums but can get up to 8" in the wild.