Coral Beauty Ick - Help!!!

brodweiser13

Yesterday I came home and thought I saw a spot on my coral beauty. No big deal I thought. Today I came home and it's covered. The coral beauty was the first fish I put in my tank after it cycled in February, which I bought from my LFS. In April I put in two perculas and a citron goby. Last Tuesday in went the last fish - a velvet fairy wrasse. Other than the coral beauty, everything was bought from this site, so I didn't do any QT. Other than the spots it looks healthy. I don't have everything to set up a QT tank quickly, how much time do I have to do this, and would I need to get every fish out of the DT and into the QT? Plus, once I do set this up, what's best. Chemical treatment or hypo???

sepulatian

Originally Posted by brodweiser13
Yesterday I came home and thought I saw a spot on my coral beauty. No big deal I thought. Today I came home and it's covered. The coral beauty was the first fish I put in my tank after it cycled in February, which I bought from my LFS. In April I put in two perculas and a citron goby. Last Tuesday in went the last fish - a velvet fairy wrasse. Other than the coral beauty, everything was bought from this site, so I didn't do any QT. Other than the spots it looks healthy. I don't have everything to set up a QT tank quickly, how much time do I have to do this, and would I need to get every fish out of the DT and into the QT? Plus, once I do set this up, what's best. Chemical treatment or hypo???
How much LR, LS and inverts do you have?

chevs10

hypo is the best treatment but you will have to remove all live rock, live sand, and all inverts. chemical treatment is ok if you have no other choice. rid ick, kick ick, stop parasites, they are just a few chemical treatments that are reef safe.

brodweiser13

LR = 75lbs
LS = 30lbs
Inverts = 20 or so snails, 30 or so various hermits, 1 emerald crab, 5 peppermit shrimp, 2 brittle stars, and a BTA.
Coral = just two small frags - green star polyps and some zoos.
I've got an old 20gl tank at home I can buy a small filter, PH, and thermometer to set up for QT, but by the time that cycles, will it be too late??

saltn00b

you can use that QT tank if you can catch her, but have extra water on hand to continue to do water changes (at the proper salinity) to keep the water either from cycling or prolonging the cycle with greatly lowered spikes.

sepulatian

All fish will have to be treated, not just those showing signs of illness. You will have to be on top of water changes. You can add a few cups of your sand to the qt to add some biological filtration. Can you go to the LFS and pick up a sponge filter? Add that to the dispay for a week in a high flow area to gather some biological bacteria. You can use some of the filter media from the display as well.