coral dieing?

hunterdaddy

Ok my trumpets have gone from bad to worse. Amonia nitrite nitrate are all 0 ph is 8.2 calcium is a little low but has been the same since I had the tank (about 350).
The trumpets have a hard dead base. This base seems to be growing to take over the fleshy parts. They are starting to get hard except for the very top part.
Anyone have any ideas? I thought they might be just growing but that might be wishfull thinking.

overanalyzer

What lighting do you have them under?? What about feeding them?? I usually go in once a week after lights out and direct some food their way (frozen mysis and frozen brine)

hunterdaddy

I have them under PC lighting. Not exactly sure what the specs are from mem. 2X55 watt actinic and 2X 55 50/50. Not 100% sure but know it is enough for any corals except those that need MH.
I have never directly fed any corals I have. I would think if they were starving to death it would have happened a long time ago. I will try it though.
Any other ideas?

jarvis

What is your SG, ALK at? How about placement in the tank? It isnt dead yet. one of my trumpets fell at night and my lobo was munching on one of the heads. He was in rough shape but it is coming back. One thing comes to mind. Corals need optimal conditons to come back from severe damage. You said your Ca has been at 350 ever since you set up the tank. What are you adding to raise Ca levels.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by hunterdaddy
I have never directly fed any corals I have. I would think if they were starving to death it would have happened a long time ago. I will try it though.

Yeah please do - plus maybe move it up closer to the lights into a little more flow - that way when lights go out there is a better chance of the feelers grabbing something out the water .... plus corals take a long time to die because they will try and exist of the zooanthella and slowly starve it would be like giving someone only water and once crust of bread ....you'd survive but eventually die

hunterdaddy

I use Cbalance. It will gradually raise the levels of calcium. It might take a month but they will get there gradually. That would be better than just adding Kalk and going from 350 to 500 in a few minutes would it not?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by hunterdaddy
I use Cbalance. It will gradually raise the levels of calcium. It might take a month but they will get there gradually. That would be better than just adding Kalk and going from 350 to 500 in a few minutes would it not?

yes slow and steady ....

jarvis

Yes do it SLOWLY. What is your alkalinity and salinty at? In fact why not shot every single parameter that you test for along with temp and current that you have the trumpet in. Calcium is useless without good alkalinity. If your having so many problem raising your calcium levels above 350. I might be suspecting Magnisium deficiency. You dont want to add any Mag suplements if your not going to test for it. I would just do a water change. I also never heard of the CBalance. Who makes it?

hunterdaddy

I would have to see the bottles to tell you7 who makes C balance. The tank is at my fiances house and I won't be moving in untill we get married. (saturday) Ill let you know.
On a good note though my alk is 4
cal is 350-400
trumpets have pretty much come back to their full fleshy beautiful selves. I am real happy because besides mushrooms they are the only corals I have kept alive.

hunterdaddy

Not sure. My LFS guy tested it and said it was fine. He said it needed to be bewteen 4 and 6. So I would assume that whichever of those increments would make 4-6 a good reading would be the correct one. He said which it was but he didn't abbreviate and I don't remember what he said other than it was fine.

tvan

Yes, You do need to feed your corals some type of food. And you can starve them to death over a lengthy period of time.
HTH
Tom