Coral EMERGENCY!!!

robharold

I need some quick help. My colt has been looking poorly the last few days. I started to move it tonight and it tore away from one of the pieces of rock that is was attached to.
The base is decayed or something has gotten to it. PLEASE help me. Can anyone tell me what I can do to possibly save this coral? I thought maybe I could try to cut away the necrosis and see if it would re attach to a rock. Any ideas. I found a snail that I did not put in and have caught a few different worms. I never saw any of them on or even close to the colt but don't know.
Thanks,
Rob

T

tizzo

If it tore or the skin was compromised it may have gotten a bacterial infection. Do you have the iodine to do a dip or Kent's tech-D I think it is... Can you remove the coral from the tank or is it attached to a large rock?

robharold

I can remove it. I think I am going to try to frag it today when I get home. I hope I can at least save some part of it. What does the iodine do?

mr.125

the iodine in a toxic "dissinfectant".
It will rid your coral of pesky parasites and bacteria...
NOT SAFE TO USE IN TANK
Make a dipping solutionin a solitary container and then rinse w/ tank water before puitting coral back in the tank~!

robharold

It's probably too late for that. But can you tell me if there is a mix ratio or just regular iodine? I fragged the colt a few minutes ago. The base was basically mush that shredded when I tried to pick it up. I cut away any other gunk and rubber banded the bigger pieces to small rubble rocks. There were a few pieces to small so I just put them on the rubble in the bottom of the tank. I hope at least a couple pieces survive. It is heartbreaking to see such a beautiful(and expensive) animal just deteriorate in front of your eyes with nothing to do about it. I just did not know enough to see the real problem early enough. I'll let you know if anything survives.
thx for advice all.