Coral FW dip suggestions

1snapple

Okay, I plan to be getting a meteor shower montipora, a joker chalice, acans, and a hollywood stunner chalice. All for my pico.
I am just curious as to how long should I dip them for? also what should I do to them before dipping....?

al&burke

Snapple - I have done FW dips with my corals - I don't have a lot of experience - but what I do is put R/O water into a 1 gallon bucket with a heater in it, I do this before I leave to get my corals or if I am going to the LFS, I temp acclimate my corals in the DT then a FW dip for 45 or 60 seconds.

1snapple

any coral died? I googled it and it said 30secs max.... hmm. i will do 50s on these up coming ones.

al&burke

I have read 30 sec as well now that you mentioned it - I have an elegence that is not doing so well, it was fine for a month after I got it, had some troubles with a millipora sps - I don't think it was from the FW dip though.

meowzer

Sorry....just saw this......I make sure my ro/di water is the same temp as the dt......(YES I have even microwaved it) I put the coral in the fw and let it set for a minute....then lightly shake it off examining carefully
I have also used lugols.....I would take tank water....add the lugols....add the corals for about 4 minutes....take clean tank water and rinse corals well...then place in tank

meowzer

Sorry snapple...I didn't dip my chalice or acans :( BUT I got them from swf, and have never had anything on any of my corals that I got from here

btldreef

I've never FW dipped acans, but I have FW dipped chalice.
IMO, you'd be better suited dipping in Coral ReVive or Lugol's. The best one that most people have luck with, especially with LPS and SPS is Tropic Marin ProCal Coral Cure (TMPCC)

1snapple

I don't have access to those anywhere around here so i am stuck w/ FW dip. I guess i will make sure they are closed, then dip for 30-45s and then place in tank.

btldreef

I would not FW dip acans. I've heard it's not the smartest thing to do. You have a QT, right? Just throw them in there.