Coral health

lonestar

My tank has been perfectly healthy for quite some time now. I am in the process of changing tanks so I figured it would not hurt to let my MH lighting on my existing tank go a couple of extra months. This was a bad decision. The corals started to die off at the tips. I have since added new MHs and slowly moved it up to max hours (about 1.5 weeks). It seems the dieing off has stopped. Should I break off all of the dead tips? I am not an additive person (never use them) but is there something I should add?
Thanks,
Jeremy

tbladecki

What types of corals are they?? Some of them you can break off the tips and that is fine, some of them you have to wait for mother nature to do it on its own, generally speaking if you let the coral heal itself you are better off, but somtimes it helps to "help it along a bit"

lonestar

It really has just efffected the thinner branched acros. The thicker branched acros and the moniporas seem to be doing ok as well as the LPS. I will give it some time. I guess as long as it does not seem to be receeding anymore, I will be ok.
Thanks,
Jeremy

nm reef

What are your current levels of calcium/alkalinity/PH.....is your temp stable? Any recent changes other than the lighting issues?

lonestar

My current readings are:
Temp 78.8
Cal 540
ALK 10.4 DKH
PH 8.1
Sal 1.025
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Magnesium 1410
I know the calcium/alk seems off ballance but it has been that high going all the way back to 9/04. I think it has a big part due to switching to oceanic salt from Instant Ocean. My temp fluxuated about 1 degree. As a matter of fact, almost every 1 of those readings are very consistant month in and month out.
Over the last 11 months, the swings have been:
Temp 78-81
Cal 530-550
ALK 10.1-14.7dkh
Sal 1.0245-1.0255
PH 8.09-8.29
Phosphate 0-0
Nitrate 0-0
Magnesium 1310-1500
I use almost all salifert test and have purchased all new test kits a couple months back and have same readings.
New things to the tank only are adding a few more fish. 1 possible fish that could be the problem is the Flame Angel which can be seen from time to time nipping at the SPS'. He will not make it to the new tank. I would think it would effect more than just the tips if it were caused by the Flame.
I have a couple of those neusance anenomes that were really starting to reach for light. After I added the bulbs, it seems that everything is beginning to stable off.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy