Coral Ideas????

Camden Parker

Hey guys I'm planning on starting up a 12 gallon nano reef aquarium and since this will be my first nano reef I was hoping for inputs and ideas on what corals I should purchase/look into for my reef.

Camden Parker

This is going to be my first attempt with corals since I now have the financial means to be able to, but if there are any specific softies you think would be the easiest to start with let me know thanks. Right now i've been looking at Zoanthus, Palythoa, and Green star polyps to start with

Last edited:

pegasus

Those are good starter corals, as long as you provide the proper lighting. What kind of lights do you have? Other easy softies are mushrooms and ricordeas florida. Xenia is an easy coral, but I wouldn't recommend it for such a small tank, as it grows and spreads rather rapidly. With good lighting, you could even have a few LPS corals like lord acans, blastos, duncans, etc. I'd start with the easy stuff first, and see how stable the system is first. If you decide you want to add LPS corals later, you'll need to run carbon so there isn't any damage to the corals due to chemical warfare. ;)

Camden Parker

Those are good starter corals, as long as you provide the proper lighting. What kind of lights do you have? Other easy softies are mushrooms and ricordeas florida. Xenia is an easy coral, but I wouldn't recommend it for such a small tank, as it grows and spreads rather rapidly. With good lighting, you could even have a few LPS corals like lord acans, blastos, duncans, etc. I'd start with the easy stuff first, and see how stable the system is first. If you decide you want to add LPS corals later, you'll need to run carbon so there isn't any damage to the corals due to chemical warfare. ;)
I have the Current USA Marine LEDs rated at 8000k and 12000k for lighting and thanks for all the help means a lot

flower

Hey guys I'm planning on starting up a 12 gallon nano reef aquarium and since this will be my first nano reef I was hoping for inputs and ideas on what corals I should purchase/look into for my reef.
It really depends on your lighting... At least it won't cost much because you can put frags in there and make it look purdy in no time.

pegasus

I have the Current USA Marine LEDs rated at 8000k and 12000k for lighting and thanks for all the help means a lot
I don't have experience with the Orbit Marine, but I believe there are others here that do. According to the specs, it should work fine for those corals.