Coral life span question

dina12

I purchased a large amout of Aquacultured corals from a company almost 2 years ago......in the past 3 months they have all died. We are talking a Brain, frogspawn, torch, candy canes, xenia and some SPS's.
All my other corals are doing great - my water readings are within normal limits and none of my fish are picking on them.
Is is possible that the way these are harvested through this company does not give them a long term life span?
I just think it is strange that every single one from them has died...alot of my corals are older and just from a different supplier...
any insight?

reefkprz

theoreticaly a coral lifespan can be unlimited because as individual polyps die off new ones grow in their place.
if the deaths were caused by anything the company did signs would be aparrant soon after recieving them not several months later.IMO
Iyou say your parameters are fine,,, what is the method of death? do they melt? is it a brown jelly covered death? is it tissue recession shown by a white or black line?

maxalmon

I would think that if you had a sudden die off of corals I would tend to think that there is another problem and would dig a little deeper to find the problem, especially since the corals have been with you for 2 years.

bonebrake

I agree with the above - corals are in essence immortal because in the proper environment they reproduce so fast that by the time an individual polyp dies hundreds or thousands have been created to replace it. Something else happened in your system that caused that mass die out.

michaeltx

with a mix of corals like that in 2 years did encrouch on each other I am thinking maybe chemical warfare of some sort.
Mike