Coral question

horus

I've had my tank running for three and a half weeks now. Tank cycled pretty fast since I started off with live rock and live sand... lasted about a week and a day. I added a few hermits, a cleaner shrimp, a camelback, and a few snails a day ago. I have a bunch of corals growing already on the live rock that I got... stuff is popping up everywhere.... pretty minute though. Guess I should throw in the details of my tank also. I have a 25 gallon with about 18 pounds of live rock, 2-3 inch bed of sand, skimmer, and 11 times water flow with my powerheads. I have a 130 watt customsealife 24 hour PC light system. I already have about 30-40 small little reddish star polyps growing on one rock. Some stalk looking ones that branch off in tips at the top on another... too young to diagnose. And a few others that just doubled in size yesterday... starting to look like plate and/or mushrooms. I wanna add in some hammerhead or other tentacle looking coral. I want some advice on how long should I wait before I get some frags from the LFS? I've been using the search alot to research the needs of the specific types of hardy soft corals... I'd appreciate any info though since I'm really new to corals.

cmonkey

I am certainly not an expert on the matter, but I have heard that camelbacks will eat your corals.
Hopefully a little help.
Good luck.

reefnut

Found some info on the Camelback may nip at colonial anemones, disc anemones, and soft leather corals
Anyway, most LPS corals should not be added until the tank has matured a little. You could start out with some easier corals and then add some LPS corals latter.

richard rendos

I have a 130 watt customsealife 24 hour PC light system.
I do not understand this part...does it mean you keep your lights on 24 hours a day? If so, you will want to cut that back to 10-12 hours a day.

horus

Originally posted by Richard Rendos
I do not understand this part...does it mean you keep your lights on 24 hours a day? If so, you will want to cut that back to 10-12 hours a day.

its the lights with the built in moonlites... you set it up on timers and it simulates a 24 hour light cycle. Dusk, Day, Dawn, and moonlight.