Coral Suggestions

peppy

Tank is looking good. Basic #'s are right on = pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Salinity don't have a test kit for all the rest yet. Finally got the six damsels out and added a small sail fin tang, matched pair of sleeper yellow gobys and purple serpent star on 11th. Going to wait a week or two and want to start adding coral. My next fish will be a clown... maroon or other... not sure yet, but want coral he might take to and wanted to probably do those both at same time?

Your lighting is a little weak for many types of coral.
To known corals that will host clown fish are:
Ricordia mushrooms
Frogspawn
Ricordia need moderate lighting and flow
Frogspawn I am not sure, it might need more intense lighting than what you have. Hopefully some else can help as to the requirements.
But as for hosting, these two can work, but nothing guarantees the clown will take to a host at all....
How do you like the Sail fin? I think they are really underrated for their beauty?
HTH.......MCF

hairtrigger

I second that ricordia idea. Or hairy mushrooms. I have some brown hairy mushrooms in my tank that my two percs love. They fiddle around in them all day long. The crazy fish even bring food to the shrooms. Which is why anenomes let clowns frolic around in them. :cool:

peppy

I was told my lighting would work sense tank is only 20" deep? Do you think I can just change bulb's on my JBJ's? I need lighting help........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhal;skdfjl;askdfj;
My canape has a little room to add, but they would have to be singles and small at that!
HELP

Metal Halides don't take up very much room, but provisions for fans and ballists need to be made, since they run hotter.
Your current lights are fine for low light corals and FOWLR, but you will have to add more if you want more types of coral. IMO.
Just decide what things you want to be able to keep before you buy anything.
MCF

peppy

MaroonClownFan,
Thanks, and I love my sail fin tang! Everyone is like get this tang and that tang and the only one that really attracts me is the sail fin? I could not wait to get my tank up and running so that I could get one and your right they are way underrated for their beauty.
Do you think hairy mushrooms or ricordia will make it with my current lighting if I put them closer to the surface? Maybe hight on my LR?