Coral

bigcoach

I am trying to add some coral to my new tank I have several fish a Yellow Tang and some Damsiels. I have about thirty pound of rock in it and it has been going really well. I was thinking of adding some Elegant Coral or mushroom Coral-Blue. HOw hard is it to do and how would I go about adding some of this to my tank, my tank is about 65 gallons. Also my w do this as a team building project for my players they have really taken to it andf are exvcite about it you would not believe how many of these college kids had no idea about slat water fish. I myself am learning about this more and more my guys are wanting to add Sand Dollars to the tank I told them I didn't think it was possilbe but i would ask. I have not found anything that you can so I am asking. That is something they can relate to, so we are building something together. Thanks for you help I am sure it wont be the last time I need help.

razoreqx

Originally posted by bigcoach
I am trying to add some coral to my new tank I have several fish a Yellow Tang and some Damsiels. I have about thirty pound of rock in it and it has been going really well. I was thinking of adding some Elegant Coral or mushroom Coral-Blue. HOw hard is it to do and how would I go about adding some of this to my tank, my tank is about 65 gallons. Also my w do this as a team building project for my players they have really taken to it andf are exvcite about it you would not believe how many of these college kids had no idea about slat water fish. I myself am learning about this more and more my guys are wanting to add Sand Dollars to the tank I told them I didn't think it was possilbe but i would ask. I have not found anything that you can so I am asking. That is something they can relate to, so we are building something together. Thanks for you help I am sure it wont be the last time I need help.

I would get rid of teh Dam's before you put any coral in there.

IMHO - don't get an elegant/elegance coral. They (generally) have poor survival rates in home aquariums. Muchrooms are OK. So are things like cabbage corals, spaghetti corals, anything soft should be ok now. Althought some do require stronger lighting than others.
I don't really see a problem with damsels unless you want other types of fish. Then you should get rid of them asap.

reefraff

Short tenticle plate corals look a lot like a sand dollar but need a lot of light. What kind of lighting system do you have? Skimmer? You should consider adding more liverock if you want anything other than mushrooms or zoanthids, you gotta keep those nitrates down.