Coralife aqualight set up

spacemonkey

Hello guys and gals,
Just purchased my new coralife 260w lights and can't wait to install them. My question is with these lights being so narrow, what should I do with the uncovered area's at the top of the tank? I previously had a custom made canopy with fluorescent lights.
Does anyone use these coralife lights? and if so what have you done with the exposed part of your tank? leave it open (i'm afraid fish will jump out or kids will drop something in) or cover it with custom glass or plexiglass?? any input would be welcome.
Thanks

danieljames

I have a coralife fixture with the legs raised up above the tank....But I have a glass top that I use between the lights and the tank.....I do however leave the back portion completely open...I have cats so it's difficult to leave the top of the tank open....if I could I would......
90% of people on this site will tell you to use egg crate material which you can purchase at home depot....the holes in this are usually small enough to prohibit jumpers and is easily cuttable to fit the top of your tank...

scopus tang

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
http:///forum/post/2523124
Hello guys and gals,
Just purchased my new coralife 260w lights and can't wait to install them. My question is with these lights being so narrow, what should I do with the uncovered area's at the top of the tank? I previously had a custom made canopy with fluorescent lights.
Does anyone use these coralife lights? and if so what have you done with the exposed part of your tank? leave it open (i'm afraid fish will jump out or kids will drop something in) or cover it with custom glass or plexiglass?? any input would be welcome.
Thanks
I use this same light. Three things I would suggest; get the legs if you dont already have them, two watch the temp on your aquarium, even raised off the top, this light produces a lot of heat, and finally, unless you are hanging this, your going to want glass between it and the tank. Otherwise saltcreep will cover the plexi glass and you will get very limited light into your tank.

danieljames

Good call on the legs.......I really don't have an issue with heat...the lamps do get VERY hot but don't seem to affect my temp....and as for the glass....ditto for me....I have to pull off my glass top and light fixtures plexiglass almost daily to clean the salt creep off.....kind of a pain....but I also like a clean setup and ample light...

zeroc0o0l

I have these lights and love them. They are on my 55 (check out pics on my diary) I dont have any heat issues, I would def suggest getting the aftermarket legs that they make. They are better then the ones that come with it very easy to move up and down to work on the tank. As for covering the top I havent yet Dont think anything had gotten out yet. I have about 3 gallons of evap a week on there. Not sure about glass or plexy cover they would probaly help with evap. I know people that love the egg create and use it all the time. I do clean the plexy on the lights like once a week for salt

spacemonkey

Thanks folks,
I think i'm going to leave it uncovered for a bit, see how that works and if I run into problems I'll try some of the suggestions you've added.
Thanks again
ps, I do have the lights raised up off the tank, and I have ordered the adjustable legs as well.