coralife super skimmer problems

weasertt

ok guys i woke up this morning to a wet rug. my skimmer was overflowing and water was everywhere. I had a recent thread about the trouble i had with the coralife super skimmer and i though all issues were taken care of. now the only way it doesnt overflow is if I turn the venturi valve almost all the way closed and it doesnt even make bubbles at that point. the red knob is turned all the way to the left. i think it may have something to do with that bubble diffuser box. which really is a bad design. if i push it all the way underwater then the water level goes down. it seems like water cant escape fast enough when its above the water line. but all the instructions tell me to keep it above waterline. im ready to go skimmerless

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by weasertt
ok guys i woke up this morning to a wet rug. my skimmer was overflowing and water was everywhere. I had a recent thread about the trouble i had with the coralife super skimmer and i though all issues were taken care of. now the only way it doesnt overflow is if I turn the venturi valve almost all the way closed and it doesnt even make bubbles at that point. the red knob is turned all the way to the left. i think it may have something to do with that bubble diffuser box. which really is a bad design. if i push it all the way underwater then the water level goes down. it seems like water cant escape fast enough when its above the water line. but all the instructions tell me to keep it above waterline. im ready to go skimmerless

That skimmer is HUGE, didn't like it!!! We bought Aqua C Remora instead, easy to install and run. Haven't had a problem with it yet! :happyfish

chipmaker

Red adjustment knob is fully off if rotated clockwise until it hits the stop. Did your collection cup overfill? If so you probbaly had your bubbles way to high in the column. They only need to be between the red rer retainer ring and the bottom of the funnel portion of the cup. How deep is your pump? Too deep it pumps too much water and not enough air is induced by the venturi....No way even with pump deeper than it needs to be, should it overflow and spill if the outflow tube is at or above water level, since there is no way there is any backpressure to push it out around red knob, it esentially free flows.....Is your vent on the outflow obstructed or clogged.......
Be nice to know where the water came out of...outflow venturi

[hr]
or from around the red adjustment knob or just an overfilled collection cup. Odds are you will not need or be able to run the skimmer more than approximately 50% open on the red knob, and that 50% or roughtly the 6 o-clock position is not actually meaning that outflow valve is only half open, as its not made that way, it has probably close to 70% of outflow tube open if knob is turned to 6 o-clock.

huntoaks

I have one and had the same problem. I got some help right here on this site and it was VERY helpful. Lift the skimmer high in the sump and make sure the outflow is also above the water line to reduce resistance. I'm no expert but this was the advise given to me and it worked great...my skimmer was too low in the sump. Also be sure the little air intake is clean and clear.
Hope this helps!!!

mikeyjer

I had the same problem with the same skimmer before. You have to cut that tubing shorter to about 2 inches in length and that fixes the problem. I didn't like the skimmer cause it's wayyyyyyyyy too big, got me a Aqua C Remora instead, smaller and it works great, just plug in and run, plus it's not as noisey as the super skimmer. :happyfish

weasertt

well the water was from the cup overflowing. but there was also water squirting out of the lil hole in the outflow right in front of the red knob. i cut the tube so my pump is only about 6 inches down in the water. the airtube that goes into it is connected to a grey cylinder. the line is clear. im so stumped lol

chipmaker

If its from the cup then raise the skimmer up higher to within an 1 1/2 or so, or as high as you can get it by cutting the tubeing short, and raising the skimmer up on the back by sliding it up in the mount. Its too deep in the water to aerate and priduce proper bubbles so its going to fill the cup with mainly water, and once the cup is filled its creating head pressure and forces it out of the outflow tube and

[hr]
thats there thats a bleed vent. Raise skimmer up, as well as the pump, and readjust as posted previously above......Its all in your setup and heights certainly nothing with the skimmer from what I can tell...6 ninches is way top deep, so get the pump up with as very short piece of tube and moving chamber up in bracket if necessary to within 1 1/2 inches or so.It will work.

weasertt

thanks guys i think i got it. so i have to let it run to break it in. then do i turn the red knob until the bubbles are in the cone?

chipmaker

No, you do not want the level of the bubble column to enter the funnel portion (cone) of the collection cup, they need to be below the bottom of the funnel portion...unless you want to empty the cup every hour or two......you never said what size CSS you have but on the 65 the bubbles need not be any higher than about 1 or 1 1/4" above the red retaining ring.........others approx 1/4 to 1/2 inche below cone bottom is fine.