Coralife Superskimmer or Red Prizm Deluxe Skimmer

jw1977

Which one of these would you purchase? It's for a 46 gallon bowfront that will have coral? Any suggestions?

uberlink

I had a coralife SS malfunction and flood my house. When I posted about it, it became clear that this is not at all uncommon.
Check some other brands. I bought a Remora EV120. I love it. More expensive, but much cheaper than having to redo the carpet...again.

wangotango

^ I've heard they can be a pain too, and if it were me, I'd have gone with a remora. Of the two options, the SS is better than the Prizm.
-Justin

rdm

My SS seems to be doing a very good job. the biggest problem is dial'in it in. It really needs a consistant (maybe 1/4'') water level to function without constant adjustment. This is in either HOB or in sump set up (I tried both).
I needed an ATO system anyway so the skimmer works great for me. If you are not puting it on or in something with a consistant water level, don't buy the SS.

itom37

I have a coralife hanging off of one of my tanks and it works well except that seemingly at random it will fill up all of a sudden. It's almost like there has been a power surge and the pump goes into high gear. I think it is better fitted for an in sump design. I recommend AquaC remora.

lecithin

My SS works well and I've heard a lot of good things. It is a bit tricky to get running at first but once you go through that its a beauty.

paulidee

I have the SS and the Prizm and I like the SS better. I experienced the same problem as itom37 where it just fills up all of a sudden and it does need constant adjustment.
the one I have(65g version) is a little too small for my 58g and I was thinking of upgrading and everyone seems to like the AqauC remora.

m0nk

I have the Prism and it's a bit annoying at times, getting it set just right took a while, but I haven't had any real problems with it other than it's loud (likely problem of any HOB setup). I've considered the SS for my next tank but would likely get something a bit more reliable, based on other people's opinions on these boards.

daninct

I've used two SS65's for a while now and have very solid performance from both. I did try a aquac remora on one tank and went right back to ss65. Less trouble to keep running, far less money to buy. You wil learn what you do to make it "fill up". I find if I add fresh food , like a shrimp, I know I will get a full cup very soon. If I letteh air inlet fill with salt creep it also will fill up. Other wise it is like clock work and I clean it out weekly.
Any skimmer you can do in sump or with a drain set up is a good idea to avoid any mess from accidents.

m0nk

Originally Posted by itom37
I have a coralife hanging off of one of my tanks and it works well except that seemingly at random it will fill up all of a sudden. It's almost like there has been a power surge and the pump goes into high gear. I think it is better fitted for an in sump design. I recommend AquaC remora.
I saw an awesome fix for that. A guy I know has some sort of huge skimmer on his tank and he had an overflow problem once so he put a hole at the top of the collection cup with a hose that drained into an empty wine bottle. That helped him keep problems like that from spilling out all over the floor. I think I'll be doing the same thing if I end up going with the SS.

rbrockm1

SS are kind of bulky to and you have to fine tune them. the prizm is ok nothing great but not worth the $100.