Coraline algae on base rock

bededog

Will coraline algae grow on base rock that I bought from Florida? And if so, does anyone have any scrapings that they would like to sell?
Thanks in advance

aarone

coralline will grow on your glass and pretty much anything solid. A good way to get coralline is to get a piece of established LR. I know a website around here sells coralline booster stix. Just pure coralline algae about an inch thick.
aaron

S

slofish

the coralline will grow on just about anything if the conditions are right. Its starting to grow on my powerhead. :D

armageddon

Yeah i used to have it growing on my powerheads as well as my power filter intake. Just seed your baserock with some LR with coralline and it should spread from there.

nacl-man

Yup I've got coraline on my PH's as well. It will grow on pretty much anything solid as mentioned above as well as on (unfortunately!) glass.
Once you notice it growing try and keep your Ca levels up to promote further growth.
GL! :)

bededog

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I planned on getting live rock, but the LFS's around here don't have any with any decent amount of coraline algae on them. I was just wondering if i should get rid of my base rock. Sounds like I don't have to do that.
Thanks again.

goldmar00n

aarone
i am very interested in the coralline booster stix...can u please give me more info on those..that would be great.
thanx in advance:D

sammystingray

I would just go to a local store, and buy all the smallest pieces of coraline covered rock you can find. I bought about 20 small rocks with coraline and it was less than twenty buck. I then spread them all around the tank. It loves my powerhead as well, and will grow on almost anything.