Coraline Algae on Glass... Good or Bad?

btuff

I have let the purple coraline algae build nice and thick on the back of my tank. Does this mean that the tank is filtering like the live rock in a beneficial way? Do I ever need to scrape any off?

wilsonreef

Coraline algae is a good thing, why?, Im not sure. I know that a lot of people are having a hard time growing it. As for me, I am having trouble keeping it off the front of mine. The back and sides are covered. If anyone knows the benefits of coraline I too would like to know. On another note how do you put the smiles in the text?

jakebtc

after clicking post reply brings up a screen to type and send right next to the white box u type in is a box that says smilies click on one and it will put the html code in the text box for that particular smiley. it won't show the actual smiley until u send the post

sharkbait9

Coralline algae is good for many reasons. One the biggest is that is astatically pleasing to the viewer and hobbyist. Beneficial wise there are a lot of reason and more reasons pop up every year. Coralline algae take up carbon for use in the process of photosynthesis. Many corallines produce chemicals which promote the settlement of the larvae of certain herbivorous invertebrates. Some corallines slough off a surface layer of epithelial cells, which in a few cases may be an anti-fouling mechanism which serves the same function as enhancing herbivore recruitment. This also affects the community, as many algae recruit on the surface of a sloughing coralline, and are then lost with the surface layer of cells. This can also generate patchiness within the community. Coralline also wards off nuisance algae from having the ability to take hold and propagate. The list can go on and on. There is no real negatives to having coralline propagating in your tank, other then it covering up all the glass so you can’t see into the tank. The biggest benefit to having coralline is that it’s one of the major building blocks of live rock “the cement” of the underwater community. As coralline grows and spreads it will take hold of one “rock” and spread and take hold of connecting/touching “rock” joining it together to make one big reef rock, thus making a “reef” in your own little ocean.
HTH

when you post or reply to a post look to your left you’ll see a box with the smiley faces. Where you want to place a smiley face leave your text mark line where you want the smiley face and you your mouse to click on the face.
:cheer:

stanlalee

If it does all those other things thats nice but all it does that I care about is it add color to otherwise dull liverock and keep green algae from taking hold. Mine grows all over powerheads, filters, snail shells and anything else hard and under light in the tank but does not grow on the glass which I am thankful for. Kind of odd though to have all the liverock, every snail and hermit blotched with it, two powerheads and hang on filter nearly covered and none on the glass.

dmjordan

I am still waiting for my coralline to get more coverage. It is starting to change my rock different colors and spread onto my baserock. I think I am only going to keep the coralline off of the front of my tank.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
If it does all those other things thats nice but all it does that I care about is it add color to otherwise dull liverock and keep green algae from taking hold. Mine grows all over powerheads, filters, snail shells and anything else hard and under light in the tank but does not grow on the glass which I am thankful for. Kind of odd though to have all the liverock, every snail and hermit blotched with it, two powerheads and hang on filter nearly covered and none on the glass.
HAHAHAHAHA oh it will.... that is unless your always wiping your glass off. At first i had it growing on everything too, and thought that it was weird that none was on my glass like i would see on other tanks. Then one day it just started to take hold on the back of the glass little dark specks, thinking nothing of it, it started to turn pinkish purple and grow. Now I’m forever shaving that stuff off and taking my P/h and other mechanical gear and socking it in a vinegar mix and cleaning them. Coralline will destroy power heads if you let it grow inside and clog up stuff.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by dmjordan
I am still waiting for my coralline to get more coverage. It is starting to change my rock different colors and spread onto my baserock. I think I am only going to keep the coralline off of the front of my tank.
thats a good idea. if you want fast spread take a piece of live rock and has coralline on it and scrape some if off into the water (called seeding a tank). BUT I WILL TELL UNLIKE NO ONE TELLING ME. If your CA and Alk are good scrap once a week or for a month will do just fine. I was scraping every 24 hours for a week and once the coralline took hold it was all over the place.