coraline algea

inkman2004

I was just wanting to know how long should it take coraline algea to grow on your LR. I have about 80 lbs in a 55 gall. tank and I am currently running 265 w lighting. I supplement with calcium daily. What specs do I need to concentrate on for optimum coraline?
Thanks,
Chad

bigarn

You can't put a time period on it, but calcium plays a big part. Don't worry... it'll come. :D

gfk

how long has it been? my tank is like a month and a half past cycle and it is covered

inkman2004

I have had about 30 lbs in for the last 4 months. I have been putting in a little at a time over the last month after curing. I have had all 80 lbs in for about a week. I was just wondering because of the batch I had in for 4 months wasn't really covered. :notsure:

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by inkman2004
I supplement with calcium daily.

Quit it!! Adding calcium to your tank daily, if nothing is depleting it will cause your alkalinity levels to drop!! Your calcium and alk should be balanced. Your salt mix usually does this for you when you mix it. More calcium does not mean more coraline. Proper calcium levels and alk levels means more coraline. :)

inkman2004

I just quit. I was following the advise of another hobbyist. He had told me to add a teaspoon a day. I didn't know that affected alk. I do change 10% every week.

mudplayerx

I have very slow, but stable coraline growth. My tank has been up for about six months, the rocks have been in for about four. I'd say that in about another six months all of my rocks will be completely covered. I dose with kalkwasser.

pontius

inkman, drip kalkwasser in with your replacement water, and a couple times a week, add C Balance instead of the kalk. coralline will spread like wildfire. this practice hasn't altered my alk at all and the calcium has remained stable. just be sure to follow the directions for the kalk.

ren99

my tank only been up for about 2 month and the coraline has really taken off on one side of my tank. Most rocks are covered there. But on the rigth side there is nothingness. :thinking:
I have MH lighting and add no supplement.

murph145

coraline needs to be on a piece of LR in your tank in order for it to spread... do u already have a little on any of your rock??
in my tank i noticed that a patch will grow from a small spec into about the size of a penny in about 4-6 weeks..... its a slow prosses just takes time...

snipe

Mine has been up for around 3 months. I started with 75lbs of lace rock and 5lbs of live rock "1 rock around 1lb had coralline on it". The live rock has been in there for about 2 months and with some scratching and brushing it is coming off and my tank is being covered in it. I dont dose anything "I dont have anything to dose for lol". I just let my lights grow it and thats about it.

inkman2004

I have a few pieces with coraline, it just hasn't spread yet. I will stop using the calcium and see how it goes with just water changes. Then I may try the Kalkwasser. Thanks everybody.