Coraline alqae

M

megabyte

Can anyone tell me what this is actually and what color it is? I have been getting different answers and I am a little confused about it. I do beleive it is good for the tank or reef, right?

flydan

Hey,
It is definately good! It's an encrusting algae and in a natural reef it can actually hold the rock together. It is normally purple or green although other shades do exist such as yellows and browns. You'll be able to tell it from other algae in that it is hard and flat, following the shape of the rock or glass or powerhead it's sticking to. I even have some snails with coraline sticking to their shells. I would leave it alone everywhere except on the front and maybe the side glass. If it's on the glass you'll need a razor blade to scrape it off.
HTH,
Dan'l :D

nacl-h2o

Coralline algae is a type of algae that attaches itself using a crustose base it creates. It has simular nutritional needs to that of other algaes execept it requires a lot more calcium. The colors I have seen in my tanks are dark red, orange, dark green, dark purple, bright pink and bright purple the purples and pinks seem to dominate the others. And it is a very good thing to have in your tank.

M

megabyte

Thanks, That's what I thought. The reason I posted this question is because I went to this new fish store by me and the lady told me that the dark colors are a bad thing. I looked at her like she had 2 heads and really didn't feel like getting in to it with her since she was older.

waterbaby76

Ive been getting the purple-ish kind all over my glass, and MAN is it a pain to scrape off!!! hehehe I also have it on my snails (which also have been growing like crazy) I dont have any other kind of algea growing as far as I can see.
Is there any other way I can take it off the front glass beside a razor-blade? Im kinda paranoid to put something like that in my water. Also, does coraline algea bloom=high nitrates just like other kinds of algea?

nacl-h2o

I use old credit cards. The edge is just sharp enough, it won't rust or cut you, their free and will last just long enough for the next one to expire and need replacement. As long as you have credit you have an endless supply. And no high nitrates will not cause a coralline algae bloom. If you keep your water parameters SG, PH, Alk and Ca in line for most hard corals your coralline will spread.
[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: DAN THE MAN ]