Coraline on LR

jayson417

Hello,
I purchased LR from my LFS and online. The tank has been est for about 4 months now but i don't see anything :( Can you look at my pic's and tell me any info?
Thanks, J

absolutekind

I just got a 38 gallon and bought a load of branch rock with tons of coraline already on it. It's hard to tell in your picture if that is, or is not, coraline. My coraline is a deep purple and covers the entire branch rock I purchased (at a price I might add)
I use a product called, "Purple Up" that has begun to create more pockets of coraline on my LR that didn't already have it on there. The most important part of this product is that it is based on the fact coraline is already growing in the tank. I would try to find a nice small rock from your LFS that they can idenify as having coraline on it. Then, just add PURPLE UP every day and you will start to see coraline beggining to grow.
Hope this helps!

lion_crazz

Be careful with purple up if you have a reef tank. It has a tendency to shoot calcium levels through the roof.

jayson417

This is a FOWLR tank i haven't tested the above mentioned items. Would low levels of Cal and Alk cause this?

lion_crazz

Yes, low calcium and alk will definitely cause the lack of coralline algae growth.
My comment about the purple up was not specifically to you, since I realized it was a FOWLR by seeing the lunare and butterfly.

jayson417

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/3049294
Yes, low calcium and alk will definitely cause the lack of coralline algae growth.
My comment about the purple up was not specifically to you, since I realized it was a FOWLR by seeing the lunare and butterfly.
Soi tested my Calcium and Alk.
Cal = under 300
Alk=1.5 almost to 2
How do these numbers factor in?

yerboy

Both are very low, shoot for around 400-440 ppm calcium and 2.5 - 4 meq/L "7-11.2dKH"
Standard water changes will bring those numbers up.

truperc

I have also read that coralline algae favors blue lighting for growth, and high nitrate and phosphate levels will inhibit growth.

lion_crazz

Standard water changes will only help if the OP is using a "reef salt"; one that already has buffered calcium and alkalinity (like Tropic Marin, Oceanic, Reef Crystals, etc.)
Both of those levels need to come up quite a bit to begin coralline algae growth.