Coralline algae turning white

vanos

In the last 6 months I have had some of my coralline algae turning white and assume it is dying. Is there any reason why this is happening?

vanos

I've never tested for calcium but I will and I should. In fact, I just started testing for phosphate recently.

reefnut

You will also need to test your alkalinity. Calcium & alkalinity go hand and hand.
What is your phosphate levels??

vanos

My phosphate is now 1.0. This was after a 15 gallon water change on my 55 gallon tank with 55 lbs. of liverock. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether or not my phosphate levels are 1.0 or if they are 5.0 because matching the color of the vial to the color on the phosphate chart is difficult. I don't put the vial against the chart but hold it a few inches away.

reefnut

Excess phosphates can have a seriously negative effect on coralline and calcifying corals.
What are you using as your water source??

vanquish

Im having the EXACT same problem. Ive used RO water all along. At first i mixed my own salt now im buying pre-made RO saltwater from my LFS. I just increased my lighting (more actinic spectrum) and started using Purple Up. I just started doing this last weekend. Im going to get Ca and Alk tests soon...
Any one else ever dealt with whitening coralline before?

vanos

I actually have2 urchins? Do they eat coralline algae?
Does "purple up" really work? I've see it for sale.

ray28576

I believe we found your problem,
I've never used purple up, but you can try it. Also, I think urchins are the only inverts that do eat corraline. I could be wrong though. They love it too. LOL