coralline algae

p-rock973

ok i wana get some color on my live rock can anybody let me know whats the best brand of coralline algae growth i could get because im shopping around and there are alots any requests out there

V

vince-1961

I didn't know it was possible to "shop" (as in pick and choose which one you get) for corraline algae.

big

Good calcium levels in the tank, a bit of Coralline in there already and just waiting..............
For many of us the day arrives all too soon that we hate the daily drudgery of scrapping it off the glass......... The one end of this tank I just gave up on..............

rotarymagic

For accelerated coralline growth, make sure you get a few rocks or rubble with it on there or I've heard scrapings work too... Keeping the calcium levels up (over 400) and KH on the high side (12dKH) worked well for me.. magnesium should be over 1300. Make sure you have flow too..

drtito

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2817140
Good calcium levels in the tank, a bit of Coralline in there already and just waiting..............
For many of us the day arrives all too soon that we hate the daily drudgery of scrapping it off the glass......... The one end of this tank I just gave up on..............

I see all that growth I am happy I clean the glass every other day even get the back glass as much as I can.

flricordia

Originally Posted by P-Rock973
http:///forum/post/2817160
wow alright thanks alot and the coraline should give my rock that red or purple color as it spreads right
Right. Won't take long if as posted above, keep calcium levels up. Kent's liquid calcium seems to help along with kalkwasser use.

big

Yes with time they will all turn purples............ As to the back glass, the purple gets nicer there with time. The back I gave up on the back first... A good place to glue those ever spreading GSP's too!!

p-rock973

any thing else i should be aware of with algae and i tested my water today and my results were my ph was 8.2 my alkalinity was 2.8 ammonia 0 nitrate 10 and my nitrie 0.05

big

Just take your time and wait for things to settle in....... If your KH is low, try a lttle Baking Soda every other day. Check the KH several hours afterwards........It will bring it up....
Get some more test kits when you can. I prefer Salifert, but there are others brands. API for one a bit cheaper and easier to test with for some applications....... Calcium, and Magnesium, would be the next kits to add, maybe Phosphates too........ Along with a Refactometer, and these basic testing kits in addion to the ones you have, these will do you well for a good period of time to come.....

sickboy

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2817166
Yes with time they will all turn purples............ As to the back glass, the purple gets nicer there with time. The back I gave up on the back first... A good place to glue those ever spreading GSP's too!!

You can just glue the GSP back there? Awesome

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2817203
Just take your time and wait for things to settle in....... If your KH is low, try a lttle Baking Soda every other day. Check the KH several hours afterwards........It will bring it up....
Get some more test kits when you can. I prefer Salifert, but there are others brands. API for one a bit cheaper and easier to test with for some applications....... Calcium, and Magnesium, would be the next kits to add, maybe Phosphates too........ Along with a Refactometer, and these basic testing kits in addion to the ones you have, these will do you well for a good period of time to come.....
The API phosphate test kit isn't low range and sucks.. just my personal experience. Don't waste money on it.

jerth6932

When I was searcheing on how to accelarate my Coraline growth I picked up a bottle of "Purple up"! Worked amazing for my 24 G nano!

michaeltx

people have had mixed reveiws with purple up. I dont like it for one I dont know what is in it and I wont add anything to my tank that I dont know what it is. I also when I did use it got horrible algae growth others swear by it.
something else to remember alot of people with MH lighting dont as good of growth as the lower light setups. Coraline is a lower light type algae and doesnt do well with intense lighting.
Give it time and the proper conditions and will take off no problems.
Mike