coralline(sp) algae help

kevtheiris

my coralline algae is turning from purple to white.. is it dying? what do i do?
My Ca is about 400, everthing else is right about where it is supposed to be. I have a corallife twin t5 light and a 24" T8 10k light that i am using for lighting. My temp is about 75-78 and salinity is around 1.22. 55G tank

jjlittle

Yes it sound like it was killed for it turns white when it dies. I would suggest highering you salinity to .026 or so but do it very slow about .001 per week. When you do water changes do you dump the salt in the tank or how are you mixing your water and adding it? for if you dump salt in a tank if it gets all over the coraline it will kill it.

kevtheiris

mix the salt and h20 together prior to adding for change. usually set my extra powerhead in the bucket (5G) for about 15min to make sure its mixed up ok

oceana

how long has the rock been in the tank?? it is rather normal for coraline to die off soon after putting it into a new tank.

kevtheiris

Id say 2-3 weeks.. This is the ifrst LR i have added to the tank too. Tank has been setup up for a few months now, and i decied to go from FO to FOWLR, and then finally to a reef tank, but i wanted to go in stages, decided to go to a reef shortly after getting my livestock ( 3 yellow tail blue damsels and 1 clown w/ a cleanup crew). Have been told to not add all the rock - once sine it may cycle again, and i dont want any harm to come to the fish i have now. I am buying precured rock from a LFS though. That, and economically it seems to make more sense to go in stages.

bwilson

Same thing happened to me only mine started to turn white on 250lbs of live rock. I was able to speed up the process by adding some stuff. I think it was called DKH? Its refrigerated Green stuff. Two days after my first dose had alot of new alge growth.
Good Luck,
BW

kdfrosty

I dont use any additives and have coralline growing EVERYWHERE. Regular water changes with RO water is what does it for me.