Corals for Nano...

fishtails

What kind of corals would you recommend to keep in a 25 gallon lit by 150 watts of MH?
Cheers,
Alex
BTW, I love this new board.....;)

grouperhead

In a nano, you kinda have to stay away from some of the corals that have long, sweeper branches (torch, hammer, frogspawn, etc.) Zoanthids are always nice, as are 'shrooms, leathers, xenias, and maybe even a clam and/or some sps frags. HTH. Bo

jim27

LPS should do fine in the tank, just give them a little space incase they let out there sweepers. I keep a frogspawn in my 18 with no problems and I've also had a candy cane coral in it when it was a 10g.

zack schwartz

I tried a small piece of candycane it did not work for me and also had a litle chemical warfare. Alex, what did you have in mind for corals?

stupid_naso

Well you can see my sig for all the corals I have in my tank. The most recent one is the torch. So far it hasn't been a problem, but I made sure it has plenty of space. I have kept a candy cane/ trumpet coral (they're different, I know, but I'm not sure which one is mine) for almost 6 months in my ten gal. It has split like crazy. I got it with four heads, now it has split into 12. Yep, three of each. So yeah, trumpet/ candy cane can be in yours.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Ty_05_f
I love my bubble coral but i think your lights might be too much.

I would have to disagree. As long as the corals are slowely aclamated to the lighting, they should do just fine. I've seen Plerogyra sinuosa thriving under 1200wts of halides, so I have no doubt that 150wts would be "too much" lighting.
As far as corals go, I would personally
stick to either A) Large and Small Polyped slceractinians, B)Soft corals and Large polyped scleractinians, C)Large polyped scleractinians only, D) Soft corals only, E) or Small polyped scleractinians only. Reason being, that Small Polyped Scleractinains often to not fair well with soft corals. You must relize that Small polyped scleractinians are often found miles away from any soft corals, in the wild. From my experience, single polyped organisms (IE; Button Polyps, Zooanthus spp., Green Star polyps, etc.) do fine with small polyped scleractinians. There are several species of soft corals which cannot live with Small polyped scleractinians, no matter where they're positioned in the tank. These soft corals produe a certain chemical which is highly toxic to Small Polyped scleractinians. As I said above, I personally wouldn't mix soft corals (with the exception of The single polyped organisms) with Small Polyped scleractinians. Of coarse, that's only my opinion. If this were a larger sized aquarium (larger than 29 gallons), there would be exceptions, but in a small tank, there is a small room for error and chemical warfare.
Graham

fishtails

So SPSfreak, if I happened to want to keep leathers with SPS I couldn't? I really like SPS, but I also like softies. Which would you go with? I'm thinking a few single poylp softies, some LPS, and a few SPS. What about LPS stinging the SPS or chemical warfare?
Thanks,
Alex

zack schwartz

I think softies would be great, not a great thing to mix them because there can be chemical warfare, this is based on personal exp;)

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Fishtails
So SPSfreak, if I happened to want to keep leathers with SPS I couldn't? I really like SPS, but I also like softies. Which would you go with? I'm thinking a few single poylp softies, some LPS, and a few SPS. What about LPS stinging the SPS or chemical warfare?
Thanks,
Alex

I'm not saying that you couldn't, I'm stating that I wouldn't
in such a small tank. There are several species of Leather which are extremely toxic to Small Polyped Slceractinians.
Large Polyped stonies do not have as much of a chemical that Soft corals do, thus, why many are able to live very sucessfully with small polyped scleractinians. Be aware that corals in the genus Euphyllia have long tentacles which usually are visible at night. These tentacles are able to sting (badly) any corals which come in contace with it. I would always place any Large polyped scleractinians at least 4" away from any Small polyped scleractinian, to prevent any coral losses from happening.
Take Care,
Graham