corals & lights

kas2247

I have a 55gal and right now only have 2x54w T-5 lights. I am planning to upgrade in the next few months and want to have 4x54w T-5's with individual reflectors. I know T-5's are great lights, I'm just not sure if 4 is enough for all kinds of corals. What will I be able to keep with these lights? Also, I'm starting some coral research and am looking for some suggestions for starter corals.
Any suggestions & comments would be appreciated!

jpc763

Softies, most LPS and some SPS. I would ask about specific corals that you are interested in for better answers. I would also post those questions in the Corals seciton.
Good luck! T5's are great lights!

dragonzim

On a 55 with 4 individually reflected, 54 watt, T5 bulbs you should be able to keep pretty much anything you want.

cdangel0

I agree, you will be able to keep most anything you want. I have a 92g corner with 6x39w T5 and can keep anything and everything.
I am planning anther 75g now and am only looking to put 6x54w on that.

kas2247

Thanks for the replies^
I guess I'll post more specific questions when the time gets closer, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to regret only doing 4x54. I'm still planning out my order (and my budget!) but should hopefully have my new lights by June, an RODI by August, and then will be able to start slowly adding some corals.

nordy

Are you looking at any particular fixture when you upgrade? I put the 6 x 54W lamp Nova pro on my 55 and am really happy with it.

kas2247

No, I'm just wiring a retrofit into my canopy. I knew I wanted to have a t-5 setup someday, so when I started my tank I bought 6 bulbs, 2 ballasts & 2 sets of end caps. I've just been running 2x54w T-5's because right now all I have is fish. I'm going to get the rest of the end caps, 4 reflectors, & put in new bulbs. It probably ended up costing me about the same as a nice setup, but at least I didn't have to pay for everything all at once! Thanks for the suggestion though