Corals under PC lighting

sk8shorty01

Hello all,
I just recently got a 48" PC lighting setup for my 55g. I was trying to decide if I do want to make my tank a reef tank or not (because I do really like the colorations of all the corals) but I am not sure what I could have with my current setup. Eventually I would like to upgrade, but for now I have to stick with what I have. I have 260W PC lighting with a 55g tank that is 18 inches top to bottom. The light sits about 4 inches over the water level. I have done a few searches, but none really gave an answer as to my setup so sorry to ask a question that a million others have asked before. TIA to all for helping me out. If you need any more information just let me know

petjunkie

Well the tank is kind of deep so higher needing corals should be placed closer to the top but leathers,mushrooms, zoos, most lps should be fine.

sk8shorty01

Ok thank you guys for the quick response.
Now not to sound to dumb, but based on your answers I have a few more questions. I already searched the boards, but for some reason I just cannot get the search to work where I find anything that will help me out. I would like to purchase a few corals here in the next few weeks but I dont want to buy any that wont be supported by my lighting setup. Could anyone give me a general "description" of each of the coral groups listed above so that I can differentiate them during my search. Thank you again, and sorry for the questions, but corals are still very greek to me. I will learn them in time though, that is my goal.
I have learned a lot on these forums in the last month or so and I have nobody to thank but you all!

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by Dragonladylea
Softies include zoanthid, palys, leathers, mushrooms etc
LPS - candycanes, blasto's, brains etc.
Ok thanks. All these things are listed here (SWF) as medium light dependent. So if I stick with corals that say that I should be fine I would imagine? Strong light dependent is out of the question I would also dare to guess
Thanks again

By strong light I am talking about things on this site such as the elegant, gorgian (SP?) and such.

Your best bet would be to research anything before you buy it, asking here or doing a search online helps. Some corals require moderate lighting but have other needs that you need to know about, water flow, feeding etc.

sk8shorty01

Well again thank you for all your help. It seems that zoo's are a good start for most people so I believe I will start with a small colony of those and probably some mushrooms of some kind. Thanks again and I will research everything before I buy it.

sk8shorty01

As I have been researching and looking at all the different corals that are regularly offered in this hobby, the one I am drawn to the most is the Hammer corals. Are these strictly to be under T-5/MH lighting or would my PC setup be ok for one of these? I am sure I will be upgrading soon because the reefer bug has found me and I doubt I will be able to escape any time soon so if I am unable to get one now, then I should be able to get some soon enough because of the chances of upgrading (about 90% chance right now haha). Again thanks for your help.
I also got a combo rock that has a few different corals that I am still trying to identify but I know that they are all able to be housed under PC lighting. I do know that there are some zoo's on there, and also a few GSP (I believe that is what they are). There are four different types of coral on this rock and I will be taking a picture soon to post for some help with ID'ing these corals. Should I spot feed any of these corals, and if so, how often should I do it? I am not quite sure how often to feed these. Thanks everyone for all of your help, as you are making me more and more intelligent every day :head swells:

reefkprz

all euphyllia are fine under pc lighting, including hammer, torch, and frogspawn corals. just be aware of what kind of light it is under pruior to purchase, if its under halides it may take a while to adjust to your lower lighting, and need to be placed higher up in the tank at first.

sk8shorty01

Thank you for that great bit of information reffkprz. I also read your fragging thread yesterday (how to) and that was an awesome thread! I will try a few when I get some growth on my combo piece. Thanks again everyone!

curlsoc

That was quite a helpful thread. As soon as I'm done cycling (waiting patiently) I have settled on mushrooms and zoo's at first purchases. I have MH lighting (2x250, 4 65PC and lunar leds) on it's way as I have a 30" deep tank (110 gal tall), but plan on settling in the mid and lower levals first. SPS at the top later when I get a better hang of this.
If yo had to pick a favorite mushroom and zoo, easy to start with and with a really nice bright color, what would you pick?

sk8shorty01

I really like Bronco300's "fire and ice" zoos that he frags all the time. Definitely check those out, as the colors are so contrasting that it makes the entire colony stand out!